The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Collaborating with vocalists.
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear
Collaborating with vocalists.

Hello Rhys,

Thanks for participating here; I really enjoy your work.

You have collaborated with many great vocalists over the years. What have you found to be the best way to begin the collaboration: Do you sent the vocalist a fairly fleshed-out track and let them prepare with it on their own (writing their own lyrics and melody to your track) before you bring them into the studio? Do you give them melodic ideas in the tracks with temporary synth melody lines? Do you give them direction on which way they should head melodically or lyrically?

Also, do you have any advice on how to coach/direct their vocal performance once they are in the studio with you?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 5th October 2016
I too would like Rhys to reply to this question. I get deep into the vocal layers and performances on Conjure One and would love his insights.
Old 12th October 2016
Special Guest

It varies, but the usual way is I have a track very close to how it sounds on the finished record. I then have some clear ideas of who is a good fit stylistically then send it to the vocalist to work out the top line and lyrics. Often I will go back to them with a few changes and sometimes I will manipulate the vocal in the computer then send it back to be re sung, but those are usually just smaller parts.

Coaching a singer is pure experience. I used to watch engineers recording vocals and wonder how they knew what to say, then after years of that i just suddenly knew what to do. The main thing is making the vocalist feel comfortable and communicating clearly. Never leave them out there without talking back after takes etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
Hello Rhys,

Thanks for participating here; I really enjoy your work.

You have collaborated with many great vocalists over the years. What have you found to be the best way to begin the collaboration: Do you sent the vocalist a fairly fleshed-out track and let them prepare with it on their own (writing their own lyrics and melody to your track) before you bring them into the studio? Do you give them melodic ideas in the tracks with temporary synth melody lines? Do you give them direction on which way they should head melodically or lyrically?

Also, do you have any advice on how to coach/direct their vocal performance once they are in the studio with you?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear
Thanks! Very enlightening.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search