The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
FLA Millenium Album
Old 28th September 2016
FLA Millenium Album

Spending so much of my life as a metalhead before discovering electronic music, naturally 'Millenium' is a favorite album of mine. If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious about some of the details of that recording. How did you go about writing that one? The guitar samples were so fitting that it needed to be pointed out to me that they were samples of other tracks. Did the music come first and then the guitar samples, or did you have guitars in mind when you were writing? How did you confront the challenge of adding guitars to what had originally an electronic music mix?

Thank you so much.
Old 2nd October 2016
Love this album also.

One particular sample I always found fascinating is the loop at the beginning of Victim of a Criminal. I was listening to Millennium quite a bit back then and that loop was burned into my conscience. One day, I was watching James Cameron's The Abyss again and immediately recognized the scene that which the sample was from. It was such an unusual but interesting bit of audio to use in a song. I thought that was so cool.

Anyways, welcome Rhys. FLA was certainly influential to me. There was always something extra special about your sound. I felt like I was listening to really futuristic music...haha. Still ahead of the time for today.
Old 6th October 2016
Special Guest

With Millennium we wanted to try something different. Bill brought in a bunch of metal CDs and wanted to try sampling some riffs. He picked out a few he liked then i sampled them into the Akai and we build tracks around them, so the samples started most of the tracks. When we went into the studio to mix, we had Devin Townsend and another guitarist come in and re play alot of them, and then added some guitars to some of the other all electronic tracks we had for continuity. So the guitar riffs were wired into the writing of most of those signature tracks on the album. I do remember Devin had a fantastic tone on Vigilante from a Mesa Boogie 50 Cal. Still one of my favorite heavy guitar sounds. Also the opening riff in Millennium I like because the sample was started in a very odd place from the original making it almost impossible to detect the source; which was a death metal band on Roadrunner. I'm not saying who but its not an obvious one....
Old 6th October 2016
That's awesome sauce. Thanks for sharing all of that. As a follow up just out of curiosity, did any of the guitarists that were sampled ever share their opinions about their riffs being in such a different context from where they started?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search