The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Obie OB-MX FLA/Noise Unit/Delerium/Intermix used...
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

The Obie OB-MX FLA/Noise Unit/Delerium/Intermix used...

Hi welcome to the forum and thanks for answering questions.

My question is quite simple (aren't they always...) and it is;

The Oberheim OB-MX that you used on several projects is reportedly one of a very few that were the hand built prototypes/first run units that sound different from the bulk of the ones made do. I would simply like to know if you believe this to be true and if you ever had a chance or multiple units to compare it to and if you believe the sound of the unit used on the albums had any sonic difference or indeed superiority to the majority of the ones out there?

I ask because there have been over the years some discussions on the MX and the consensus is that they generally sound fairly thin versus what their potential should have been and that there are some recordings out there, yours being some, that disprove the general accepted bias that they're not so great.

Also if you can remember if you simply had a general example of it and ran it through some outboard that fattened it up or if you have some info that proves the rare early ones that were hand built theory or disputes it would be great as well as any impressions of what you think of them.

And thanks again for participating in what is surely going to be some long butt kissing and groveling/not worthiness posts.
Old 28th September 2016
Special Guest

The OB MX we used wasn't a prototype, it was the the final distributed model bought soon after its release, so I couldn't theorize what the difference was.
The OB MX has a big sound and we used it a lot on the Hard Wired record. Sampled into the EIV it sounded deep and punchy. (the two note bassline on Neologic Spasm is said OBMX/EIV combo and the intro to Plasticity is OBMX too) I liked the sound of it a lot though it was a little glitchy, and the midi response wasn't the tightest, hence the sampling of it, but still a nice character synth - like a SEM with a 24db filter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
Hi welcome to the forum and thanks for answering questions.

My question is quite simple (aren't they always...) and it is;

The Oberheim OB-MX that you used on several projects is reportedly one of a very few that were the hand built prototypes/first run units that sound different from the bulk of the ones made do. I would simply like to know if you believe this to be true and if you ever had a chance or multiple units to compare it to and if you believe the sound of the unit used on the albums had any sonic difference or indeed superiority to the majority of the ones out there?

I ask because there have been over the years some discussions on the MX and the consensus is that they generally sound fairly thin versus what their potential should have been and that there are some recordings out there, yours being some, that disprove the general accepted bias that they're not so great.

Also if you can remember if you simply had a general example of it and ran it through some outboard that fattened it up or if you have some info that proves the rare early ones that were hand built theory or disputes it would be great as well as any impressions of what you think of them.

And thanks again for participating in what is surely going to be some long butt kissing and groveling/not worthiness posts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search