The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
In The Box
Old 27th September 2016
Here for the gear

In The Box

Hello Rhys, your work with hardware over the years has been amazing, but I'm curious to know if you've ever produced anything strictly "in the box", and which plugins/VSTs would you put on your can't-live-without list if you were stuck with only a DAW to work with? thanks.
Old 4th October 2016
Special Guest

It depends on what 'in the box' exactly means. As far as not mixing on a console, well that has been the case for about 10 years now as the old model we used just is no longer cost effective. But as far as all software productions go, it rarely happens in my work. There is always analog synths recorded and outboard gear inserted in the mix. There is a couple exceptions on both those sides, for instance, "Kill The Fear" on the last Conjure One album was all done on my laptop with software, but then mixed on the main rig with hardware inserts.
Then some songs are mixed all ITB but include analog synths..
I think the plugs I use the most, as in, everything I do these are on, would have to be the Waves Studio Classics (SSL and APIs) and the Sound Toys bundle, both AAX. I'm not sure if I can live without those.
I also think mixing metal or guitar heavy music is a style a console still benefits - you need lots of sonic real estate for big guitars. When I mix heavy stuff I always have the guitars bussed out through a SSL EQ in lieu of not having a console. It makes a difference to my ears. I also find hardware reverbs still sound better than most plug ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miir View Post
Hello Rhys, your work with hardware over the years has been amazing, but I'm curious to know if you've ever produced anything strictly "in the box", and which plugins/VSTs would you put on your can't-live-without list if you were stuck with only a DAW to work with? thanks.
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Was always wondering...Which soft synths, if any, have made it into FLA records?
Old 6th October 2016
Special Guest

The only ones i can say for sure are the ones i used on Civilization, which was actually alot of ES1 and ES2. The track "Structure" is all ES2 driven by a Doepfer MAQ16. I stopped using Logic after that album though..That was also the last full FLA album I worked on. The stuff I did on Artificial Soldier was mostly an analog Omega 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow View Post
Was always wondering...Which soft synths, if any, have made it into FLA records?
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

Ahh, the ES2.Used to love that thing.Still do but i'm on Cubase now so...
Thank you Rhys for all your answers so far, we all appreciate a lot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search