The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Welcome Conjure One !
Old 26th September 2016
Welcome Conjure One !

We're proud to present you a Q&A with industrial electronic music artist, remixer, producter, writer, engineer and keyboardist Rhys Fulber, also known as Conjure One.

I'll attempt to offer an overview of his prolific carreer, with a few examples:
Rhys comes from a musical family background; his father was a musician and there were always instruments in the house. Later his father built and ran a recording studio, and local punk rock bands came to record their songs. Rhys started drumming at an early age, and at age 14 got his first drumcomputer and synthesizer from his father, after they heard Pete Shelley's Homosapien album, which made Rhys interested in electronic music.
Just after this, he met the austrian musician Bill Leeb (under the alias Wilhelm Schroeder) who just left the band Skinny Puppy in 1986.

The industrial electronic music group Front Line Assembly was formed. Members were Bill Leeb, Jared Slingerland, Jeremy Inkel, Chris Peterson, Michael Balch and Rhys Fulber.
Rhys contributed to one song on the "Total Terror" debut album (originally released on cassette), it was mixed on an eight track. Rhys did the remixes of it in 1993 when it was released on CD as "Total Terror Part I: Official Demos 1986". Three songs on the following album "The Initial Command" where written by Bill and Rhys.

Rhys joined Front Line Assembly on their first tour "Gashed Senses & Crossfire" in 1989.

When co-founder Michael Balch left the band in 1990, Rhys joined as a full time member. Since that moment he has been involved with all of their releases and performances starting with "Caustic Grip". Here is a small selection of their extensive catalogue:

And some live performances:

Starting in the same timeperiod (1987-present) Rhys also made music with Bill Leeb as the ambient band Delerium. The direction is more towards ehtnic electronica and New Age influenced ambient music: Here are a few examples:

As well as projects like Intermix (1992-1995) and Syneasthesia (1995-1997).

Also Rhys provided production, programming and arrangements to the industrial metal band Fear Factory, notably on the albums Demanufacture (1995), which is a concept album about man's struggles against a machine controlled government, with each song a chapter in his life. Rhys did the final mix for this album with Greg Reely, it was recorded at Bearsville Studios in New York.
Rhys also did mixes and production for the album Obsolete (1998), again a concept album about man versus machine. Rhys also remixed "Fear is the mind killer" (1993) for this band.

He has also worked with artists such as Josh Groban, Megadeth, P.O.D. Mudvayne, the Tea Party (band) and the progressive rockband Yes. Also Rhys has a fair number of remixes on his conto:
All of these you can look up here.

Then, around the millenium, Rhys started publishing releases under his alias Conjure One:

Recently, in 2015 a new album "Holoscenic" was released on Armada Music:

In an interview from december 2015, Rhys said he's using Pro Tools and Ableton Live as the core of the studio, doing most of his writing in Ableton, and moving it over to Pro Tools since he feels this is a better environment fro the final mix. Apart from one song ("Kill the Fear") the album is mostly made using hardware.
Quote:
To me they don't sound like anything - if that makes any sense? The reason I love analogue synths is that they're imperfect, which gives the music a character and musicality that's missing from software. They sound like a musical instrument.
"If you play a guitar, not every note is perfectly in tune, it's impossible - and that sounds more like music to me, but then I love modular synthesizers and crafting each sound. I think that's one of the joys of electronic music that's being swept away, with people in a hurry to make tracks and use a lot of presets."
Rhys has used a Doepfer modular system since 1997, a small Serge panel, but the synth he said, he's using the most is a fully specced out SE Omega 8.

He prefers his (Chandler) preamps over recording synths straight into the converter.
Quote:
"I have some Chandler preamps that I love. I think they make a big difference, even using them as a DI for synthesizers - it's something to do with the way they balance the signal. When you plug stuff directly into an audio interface, it doesn't sound as good as when you put it through a proper microphone preamp.
"When every stage has been recorded really well, it starts stacking up nicely and you get a body to the sound.
--
Welcome Conjure One, to the Q&A! Let's have some fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome Conjure One !-rf-studio-rack-1-650-80.jpg   Welcome Conjure One !-rf-studio-keys-vintage-650-80.jpg   Welcome Conjure One !-rf-studio-keys-650-80.jpg  
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search