The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb use
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Reverb use

Do you find that you typically use the same types of reverb, rooms, halls, plates and delays on certain instruments or vocals? Any go too for vocals, snare, e guitars?
Thank you very much for sharing your expertise

Last edited by Coldsnow; 1st December 2020 at 09:45 PM..
Old 2nd December 2020
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
when I was learning to record, and to write songs I relied heavily on delay and reverb effects for tone and mood. Nowaday's not sooo much. I mean it was a revelation when the first generation of digital reverbs and delays came out, and we were all tempted to use to to EXCESS!

If a studio has a really cool EMT plate reverb, I like to print that on a few tracks, vocal... snare, yes, acoustic guitar. I LOVE and use all the time Fender Twin 1970's amps with that insane spring reverb, Can run vocals thru it, and certainly on electric guitars that play thru it. I am super happy with UAD EMT 140 plug in, and Pro Tools D-verb is just fine in many cases too, as long as some of the high frequencies are turned down to taste. Valhalla Shimmer and Valhalla Plate are super cool inventions, I think. I like Pro Tools delays too, very usable, Echo-boy nice, UAD Korg SD3000 DDL plugin is good, I had a pet favorite the MXR blue rack mounted delay. That did things that no plug in can do (that I know of) it had pushbuttons (10) that subdivided the delay times mathematically, and you could go crazy on those while the signal was passing thru and it was super surreal. I still have that unit in the USA, but it needs repair,,,and so far no human repair person i've met in the past 10 years has a clue how to fix it! :( Interestingly, on both Strokes album and the Regina Spektor album I produced... there was no reverb or delay whatsoever unless it was spring reverb on a Fender guitar amp.
📝 Reply