The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Regina Spektor Soviet Kitsch mic preamps
Old 19th November 2020
Regina Spektor Soviet Kitsch mic preamps

1) Mic preamps used on Soviet Kitsch? My absolute favorite record of hers.

2) What do you think of the production on the later Regina albums? I strongly prefer the minimalist presentation on Soviet Kitsch. 11:11 was a bit scrappy/rough and the later productions, to me, occluded some of what's magical about her. You can hear the magic more clearly in some of the many live recordings of her songs from the post-Soviet Kitsch era.
Old 22nd November 2020
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
Working with Regina on Soviet Kitsch, from beginning to end, was one of the highlights of my life-- truly. She played me one song, the day I met her (Poor Little Rich Boy) and not only did we start recording that song, exactly as you hear it on the album-- but I had an instant vision of how I wished to hear her songs and present her phenomenal music and storytelling to the world via my production. Young woman and piano... ok, thats a combination thats been done many times very well... um,, Joni Mitchell Blue! Tori Amos etc. So what could I do to set it apart? I thought what if i set the preamps and compressors and room mics so that when she sings pretty, and soft-- the sound is GORGEOUS and warm, but when she gets excited and maybe yells, every piece of gear in the studio that we were using-- say 9 microphones and preamps, a fender twin reverb amp and a leslie speaker... all got upset and hissy and a bit aggressive too?? I used an SSL preamp and cool vintage LA-2A compressor on her voice for part of it, and a Neve 1073 vintage and Distressor for the other songs...

I have seen Regina live a number of times since I worked with her, and she is always amazing, always in her great musical power. I haven't studied all of her recordings, but I know I prefer Soviet Kitsch's intensity and focus more than the first few subsequent things I heard.
Old 22nd November 2020
Very cool to know, thank you. How did you meet Regina?
Old 22nd December 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
My friend-- musician (drummer) & producer Alan Bezozi introduced Regina to me at TMF Studios, and we started recording (unplanned) 15 minutes later.
amazing sessions
📝 Reply