The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Verve
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear addict

Verve

A Storm In Heaven is my favorite Verve LP. Can you shed some light on how you captured the great guitar sounds and what method you used to give the album such a dense and dreamy feel, and also what console was used. I saw them back during their tour supporting that record and they definitely had that "sound" going on live.

Thank you !
Old 20th July 2009
Gear nut

Verve

Hi Alnico
Check some other posts for Verve info.
Album recorded and mixed at Sawmills with John Cornfield and me engineering. Most tracks cut live with guide vocals in quite a small low ceilinged room. Most of Nick's guitar would be what he played with band on backing tracks. We never started rolling tape til Nick was happy with his sound. He usually used Flying V and Gibson acoustics. Pedals were probably Boss and amp ? studio Marshall and Roland Chorus. Delays were sometimes Watkins Copicat and i think at one time we dragged an SPX90 out of rack to fix into his guitar rig. Guitars usually recorded with U67 and SM57 on each cabinet up close to speaker. In the room all guitar cabs would be boxed in with screens and roofs and fairly confined space. Reverbs and stuff added later on mix
Cheers
JL
Old 29th July 2009
Gear interested

a really great album. anyone that isn't familiar with it should check it out as it is very different from their later albums.
thanks john.
Old 27th August 2009
Gear Head

Hi John ! In my view 'a storm in heaven' is not only a masterpiece in songwriting and playing but a masterpiece in production !....You don't know how much joy the sound of this album has given me ! ...I don't think it will be surpassed for me anyway ! .... Can I ask what reverbs you used on the quiet guitar passages ? like in 'already there' and more particularly 'beautiful mind' ....is it a combo of different verbs ? it truly does sound beautiful !

Cheers! Mark
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search