The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Magazine - Real Life
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Magazine - Real Life

Hi John, thanks for doing this.

I have to ask if you have any particular interesting stories or memories of recording Magazine.

This was the first album that got me interested in recording and producing music. Your name has been etched in my mind ever since I turned the LP over as a 16 year old and saw that you produced it.

Still love this album today..it just has a magic and a depth that so many other recordings lack.

In fact I remember reading that Radiohead asked you to produce due to this record and not the Stone Roses as most had people assumed.

Thanks again, Phil.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Nut

Magazine Real Life

Hi Space Station

Yes. Real Life is one of my favourites and recorded at very busy time for me and it took a few years into 90s before i realised how good it was. Recorded at Ridge Farm in Sussex before it was a studio and you could rent the barn and accommodation and we recorded on Virgin mobile truck in the snow. Tapes then taken to Abbey Road 3 for overdubs vocals etc We recorded last track Parade at Abbey Road and I always thought the fade up was cool if I may say so! My good friend Haydn Bendal tape op'ed for me at Abbey Road and we both got good memories of the sessions.
Go see them playing live. They just got together again and are awesome!
And new book I just done interview for...
Cheers JL
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Yes! I went and saw the reformed Magazine at the first show at a small club in Oxford this year..it is slightly worrying this reforming stuff especially minus the genius that was John McGeoch but they were truly awesome live.

The thing with Magazine is you can single out any player throughout the whole album and it's interesting and innovative. Such a good band.

Parade is one of my absolute favourite Magazine songs...and the recording is beautiful.

Thanks again, Phil.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search