The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Posies, Dear 23
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict
The Posies, Dear 23

John, I am huge fan of quite a few albums you have produced, including this one. To me, this is by far the best of all Posies albums, in part because it is the one on which they sound least like a Seattle band of the period, and the psychedelic and Brit-pop influences are most in the fore.

Starting with the next album, the delicateness of their harmonies and arrangements got subsumed by the power side of power pop, which, for me, was never a comfortable fit. History may not agree with me, but I never again found the Posies as engaging and interesting after Dear 23. One suspects this had a lot to do with you...

...Anyway, here's a question:

This album has great distinctive drum sounds and drumming--very '60s influenced, Keith Moon-ish, barely stable, fill-mad drumming that really energizes the album. Did you coach Musberger to approach it that way or was that how the band was already doing things with that almost deliberate '60s reference in the drumming? What do you remember of the drum recording?

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2009
Dear 23

Not to get greedy with questions, but man is that a fantastic album. How did your record their vocals? There's such a presence about them and their parts often seem to imply more than two vocal lines. I worked with Ken last year and loved watching how physical he gets when singing, waving his arms all around.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Posies - Dear 23

Though I was familiar with your work on "The Bends" and "Origin" I just discovered that you worked on this album (Dear 23) which has always been one of my favorites. I am curious as to what you could tell me about what was done to get the drum sound - it remains one of my favorites - I especially love the snare and cymbals...Thanks!

Will
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Nut

Posies - Dear 23

Hi Will
Well long time ago...recorded at Crow Studios in Seattle. The sound is really from that room cos it was good and homely and musical. We rented API 'sidecar' desk, monitored loud on Tannoy Little Reds and drums were well tuned and well hit. Miking nothing special: 58s rather than 57s, 451 on toms, 414s and 87s overheads and room. Overheads and room probably compressed with Urei 1176. Mixed at Enterprise in LA. Huge studio complex in Burbank used by glam/metal bands with filmstargirlfriends. Huge Ausburgher monitors and the longest 80 channel(?) SSL I worked on. I think mix got a bit 'sheeny' from all that sunshine.
Cheers JL
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Nut

Dear 23

Nice one Mr Brill Bedroom
Vocals all done on Shure SM58 thru Urei 1176 half needle bending. They have great voices!

JL
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search