The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass sound on Magazine's Real Life
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Addict

Bass sound on Magazine's Real Life

I consider the bass (and guitar) sounds on Real Life to be quintessential new wave/post punk. There is quite a bit of information available on John McGeogh's set up, but little enough on Barry Adamson's. I am guessing from the growl that a Rick bass of some sort was used, and there also seems to be some sort of chorus effect. Can you tell us a bit more about the set up/recording method for the Magazine bass sound?

And of course, many thanks for taking the time to participate in the forum.
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Nut

Magazine Real Life

Hi Butcha
Yes is good sound...and really it comes from the player. I saw Barry recently at Magazine reformed gigs and its sensational. He really drives the band. It was Rickenbecker and amp I dont know.. It was recorded at Ridge Farm Studio barn in Sussex but on Virgin mobile truck with Helios desk and Ampex 24 track and mixed at Abbey Road 3 on Neve. I was quite into Valley People Gain Brains at time cos its all we had at Abbey Road beside Altecs and Fairchilds so maybe some of that on it. Also its a mix of DI and amp
Cheers
JL
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Addict

Many thanks, John. I am going to see Magazine later this summer and I have to say I am really looking forward to it (especially after what you said about their live show).

Can you tell us a bit about the dynamic of the band's creative process? Did they come into the studio with a well rehearsed set of songs already written, or was it written to a certain extent in the studio. Do you have any interesting anecdotes about the music or the personalities involved. I think they are a band that haven't really gotten the credit they deserve, which has resulted in their work not really being documented the same way as the work of other bands from that period.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search