The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roy Harper - Stormcock
Old 1st July 2009
Lives for gear

Roy Harper - Stormcock

Dear Mr. Leckie,

'Stormcock' is such a special album! Could you share some impressions from the sessions, especially regarding the acoustic guitars from Roy and Jimmy Page and the orchestrations?

thanks so much!
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post

'Stormcock' is such a special album!
thumbsup one of the best!
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Nut

Roy Harper Stormcock

Hi Y'all
This is my first time on here so hope you're receiving me loud and clear...
Yes. Stormcock is a great record for listening to all through ...its only four songs and all acoustic. I was just a lowly tape op button pusher on sessions which took a good few months in hot summer 1970 all in studio 3 Abbey Road. I wasn't on many sessions but went on to engineer and produce another 7 albums with Roy so he's a bit of a mate really. Most of engineering done by Phil McDonald who did Beatles and went on to Apple and did all John, George and Harry Nilson etc. I tape op'ed for Phil on George Harrison and John Lennon He's the best and with Peter Bown at Abbey Road taught me how to be on sessions and get good sound. ( still searching...)
As far as guitars go I know Roy always cherished two John Bailey guitars he had custom made (UK luthier I think) . He had a twelve string as well. What Jimmy played I dont know..wasn't there unfortunately. Check out other Roy Harper album 'Flashes From Archives of Oblivion" with rotten recording of Jimmy Page, Ronnie Lane, Max Middleton and Keith Moon on drums live at Rainbow, me in room at back with TG desk and 3M 8track trying get it down after Roy and full orchestra played. All orchestra on Me and My Woman on Stormcock is arranged by David Bedford and recorded by Pete Bown in 2. I remember we had the orchestra waiting in canteen while me and Roy edited the eight track for recording as he hadn't decided takes. Lots of multitrack edits on Roy's records. James Edgar did the artwork and was traveller mate of Roy's and often slept in studio somewhere but would often produce great little watercolor pics he did of the proceedings. What else about Stormcock? Lot of dope smoked...yes it was Abbey Road but this was an 'underground session'. Pete Jenner was producer and did many records with bands he managed at Abbey Road in 70s and seeing as I was only guy at Abbey Road with long hair I got on the sessions!
Anyway hope this is of use. Do you want more tech stuff?

JL
Old 3rd July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
Do you want more tech stuff?

JL
Yes!!!!

And thank you for coming to hang out with us, this is a huge honor and treat.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
Do you want more tech stuff?
YES!!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search