The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Q+A with producer / engineer Ken Scott

Sponsored By
  Options
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

Hello Ken I was wondering if you could tell us something about Scorpio Sound Studios in London and their set-up: piano,...

sebsebseb
replies: 1 views: 2,512
Ken Scott 22nd December 2010

Hi Ken, I'd love to hear ANYTHING you care to share about the making of that incredible record, and especially the title...

wwittman
replies: 1 views: 2,757

Hi Ken, howdy I've come to understand that before the Trident A Ranges were completed and installed, there was, of course,...

Cole Hankins
replies: 1 views: 2,597

Hey Ken, I know I keep bugging you, but this is going to be my final question I ask you. I just wanted to ask you about the...

DanDaMan
replies: 1 views: 2,678

Hi Ken! It's an honor to have the opportunity, and thank you for being so generous with your time. After reading through many...

Hawkeye
replies: 1 views: 3,912

Hi Ken ! I'm really interested in knowing some things especially from you about your relationships with musicians during...

fbaba
replies: 7 views: 5,960

Hi Ken, Could you maybe make a rough guess as to the size of the drum booth at Trident around '71/72? Also, what kind of...

jdsowa
replies: 1 views: 2,797

First of all, thanks for taking the time to help inspire us on the forum and obviously you've done some legendary work. I'm...

Dissimili
replies: 1 views: 2,913

Hi Ken, Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. What are your favourite instances for introducing varispeed whilst...

sunrobot
replies: 1 views: 2,797
Ken Scott 21st December 2010

Hello Ken, and thank you so much for taking the time to share your great wisdom & experience to help the readers of this...

swamp therapy
replies: 1 views: 1,974

Ken Wondering if you had some awkward moments at EMI as you were a new wave in engineering. From what I've read they had very...

mappee
replies: 3 views: 3,315

Hey Ken, Do you know what that 'tap tap' sound is at the start of the Sgt. Pepper Reprise..?... before the drums come...

Norman Lindsey
replies: 1 views: 3,841

Ken, As an avid fan of all the English rock through the 70's I am never surprised when I see your name as I look though...

andrewskee
replies: 1 views: 3,651

Ken, Seems that between you, Gus, Chris and Roy you defined what one would consider "classic rock" that people still...

andrewskee
replies: 1 views: 2,778

Hi Ken, Thanks so much for being here! I'm wondering what we hear in the intro to the Beatles' "Good Night" (a...

alubman
replies: 1 views: 2,188

I see you talking about using the altec and fairchild as effects. Where do you think the altec really shines?

Rick Carson
replies: 1 views: 3,027

All these years later and to me, still at the top in sonic nirvana. I just love this song! I have so many questions but I'll...

Sounds Great
replies: 1 views: 2,014
Ken Scott 20th December 2010

Hello from Australia. Would you like to explain the idea behind the suspended RE20 bass drum trick? Thanks

Kumbari
replies: 1 views: 5,360

Hi Ken! from reading several previous post I get the feeling that you're quite comfortable working with whatever gear's at hand....

Chris900
replies: 1 views: 3,755

. I have always admired the drum sounds on the records you did. But a lot of the drummers you've worked with over the years seem...

12ax7
replies: 1 views: 3,365
Ken Scott 19th December 2010

Hello. Is there anything you could share about working with Duran Duran? With Warren again, and with their programmer Mark Tinley...

Mark D.
replies: 1 views: 2,616

Hey Ken, it's me again. Sorry to keep bugging you. This time, I have a question about the EMI REDD consoles used in Abbey Road...

DanDaMan
replies: 1 views: 3,849

Hi Ken, I'd be interested to hear what records initially inspired you growing up and made you want to get involved in music....

ShogunAssassin
replies: 1 views: 2,665
Ken Scott 17th December 2010

Hi Ken, thanks so much for being here. Wonder if you'd care to touch on any aspects regarding pre-production. Your...

Sonic Lush
replies: 1 views: 2,445

Ken, I was first awe inspired by your work with Happy the Man back in the late 70's. Can you recall how it was to mix these...

RBHan
replies: 1 views: 1,416

Hi Ken , Could you tell us a little about some of the big old warm 70's snare sounds you get . In particular some of the sounds...

Brett 123
replies: 1 views: 6,660

Hi Ken, thanks a lot for your great work!! my question: sometimes i guess that in mastering- the engineer worked out very fine...

Matt B
replies: 1 views: 2,842

Which editing techniques, if any, were used when recording the Beatles? Did you ever cut tape in order to move a drum hit for...

Chris900
replies: 1 views: 3,503
Ken Scott 16th December 2010

Hi Ken, Man, you've been involved in so many of the albums that sort of marked certain moments in my life, my ears and my...

Pchicago
replies: 1 views: 8,831

Hey Ken, Thanks ever so much for doing this. I was just wondering what your approach to recording electric guitar is (and/or...

DanDaMan
replies: 1 views: 3,854

I love Missing Persons (and still listen to them today). I always felt like they deserved a lot more respect and success than...

force3007
replies: 1 views: 2,195

Thanks so much for answering my first question Mr. Scott. After reading some of your reply's on this forum I thought, what...

icebox
replies: 1 views: 1,859

How did the trident a range desk compare to the tube desks at emi at the time? I've read (in here there and everywhere) that...

bobemmett
replies: 1 views: 3,527

Hello Ken, You really must have worked a big deal with the EMI TG consoles and therefore know them inside and out. If this is...

Virgil
replies: 1 views: 3,542

Hi Ken, so glad that you are here, I think your work is just fantastic. I love the Tubes, and Supertramp is at the top of my...

Sounds Great
replies: 1 views: 1,564

Hello there - thanks again! This is very gracious of you. I would love to know if there is an outtake or demo or something...

hAPIguy
replies: 1 views: 2,048

Hi Ken, What is your approach to panning ? Do you routinely default to hard L, R and center or is it different from time to...

gainreduction
replies: 1 views: 4,089

I've seen you refer to the LA 2 as a limiter a few times now. I always see those in compress mode. Do you generally use them in...

PRobb
replies: 1 views: 3,394

Hi Ken, very enjoyable so far. I myself, like everyone else here really love the albums you've worked on, but there's always been...

mellotronic
replies: 1 views: 2,662

Missing Persons "Spring Session M" is one of my favorite albums. You took technically brilliant and diverse musicians...

Mark D.
replies: 1 views: 1,730

Thanks for taking the time Ken! Do you have any preference when it comes to vocal recording. i.e. do you prefer to track...

Chris900
replies: 1 views: 4,092
Ken Scott 15th December 2010

Paul Buckmaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia How was it working with him? Would you personally mic up the strings /...

Jules
replies: 1 views: 2,300

MP3

Ken. I was wondering if your approach to mixing a song has been changed in any way by the fact that much of what you release...

kennybro
replies: 1 views: 2,381

Ken, To be able to ask you a question is an outright pleasure and gift of this oustanding forum. I have thought long and hard on...

mandrum
replies: 2 views: 4,075

Hi Ken, Thank you so much for doing this, i really appreciate that you take your precious time to do this. Could you please...

Chris-Doll
replies: 1 views: 3,313

. Obviously, Daniel is a great record, and was a big hit for EJ, but there is something I've always wondered about that...

12ax7
replies: 1 views: 3,956

Mr. Scott, Thank you for doing such a fantastic job on Cobham's "Spectrum" album. To this day, I think it is one of...

CB_Photo
replies: 1 views: 3,338

Hey Ken, I've been a big fan since my father got me into Crime of the Century in the 80s. I know this sounds like a big...

Clayphish
replies: 1 views: 4,542

Was there a feeling of us vs them? Some sort of game of oneupmanship? Did you hanker after US made gear? Like API consoles?...

Jules
replies: 1 views: 3,526
Ken Scott 14th December 2010

Mad keen Stones fan here. What were they up to when you worked with em? Was it fun? Did they keep odd hours?

Jules
replies: 1 views: 3,578
Ken Scott 14th December 2010

Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search