The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Various Tips
Old 30th December 2010
Fezzle
Various Tips

Hi Ken!

I was wondering if you could shed any light on mixing, when you have all your tracks in place and you start a session.. would you typically push everything up n get an instant feel for the mix, or do you have a different approach say get your drums up n balanced, followed by bass for example?
Also would you tend to knock out 1Khz on snare drums? to my ears theres a kind of squishy fatness to lots of your snare sounds, without pinginess if that makes sense..
Did you tend to use any compression on your overall drum tracks to bring any kind of tone or character?
And one more would any artists you recorded with want a reverb or delay foldback in theyre headphones whilst tracking to help them perform better? Id be interested to hear of any particular artists who needed an inspired leg up so to speak

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 3rd January 2011
Special Guest

Hi Dave, I tend to go through all the tracks, EQing each thing on it's own, already knowing pretty much how I want it to sound and then balance the drums, bring in the bass and onward through everything else. I've tried started with everything up but I found that for me it just didn't work.

I can't think of a time when I would have pulled out 1K on a snare. If you are noticing a lack of that frequency I guess it could be that the mics I use on snare are slightly deficient in that frequency? Other than that I have no idea. It's not something planned.

The only time I limit/compress drums solely on their own is for a Ringo type of effect. Usually they are just a part of the overall compression.

And last but not least, yes I have worked with several singers who have wanted to hear something on their voice in the headphones. The only one I can think of specifically was Mr Lennon who always liked some repeat in his ears.

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search