The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lennon microphone technique Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Lennon microphone technique

Ken,

I've read a few things about how Lennon's vocal technique was pretty well honed and he would do things like wave his hand in front of his mouth to minimize plosives and sibilant sounds. Is this true? What are your memories of Lennon's microphone technique?

Also, what's your preferred method of dealing with a very sibilant vocalist?

Thanks in advance, and with any luck I just might be seeing you at your recording class next year.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 29th December 2010
Special Guest

Hi Don, First off, I look forward to meeting you.

Onto JL. I don't know where you read about his vocal technique but all I can say is that I never once saw him employ any of the techniques mentioned. In fact I've never seen anyone wave their hands in front of their mouth to curb pops or sibilance.

EMI used to have really good pop shields which helped with almost all problems, but if we were having particular problems with sibilance the amp room had set it up so we could use a Fairchild 660 as a de-esser.

These days I generally use a Neumann U87 and an AKG 414 at 90 degrees to each other and have the vocalist sing down the middle. That covers most stuff and then one can do so much within Protools that for anything really bad I do it in the box.

Cheers
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search