The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trident Boards Plugin Bundles
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Trident Boards

Hi Ken,
I've come to understand that before the Trident A Ranges were completed and installed, there was, of course, another sort of console in use, Sound Techniques I think? I'm a big fan of the sounds coming out of Trident in the early years, like Nilsson, T Rex, Bowie, Elton John, Carly Simon, Lou Reed, Genesis, Beatles, the list could go on for ages... Would you kindly shed some light on when change was made and on some of the differences between A Ranges and Sound Techniques? These could range from the more technical to the strictly sonic differences. Thanks for reading!

Oh, and much thanks for all of your work over the years! I've always enjoyed listening to anything you've engineered/produced;I love letting my ears swim in Hunky Dory and Transformer!
Old 22nd December 2010
Special Guest

Hi Cole, I recently met up with both Barry Sheffield, one of the original owners of Trident and Malcolm Toft, the designer of the A Range, and one of the multitude of things we discussed was the timing of the changes of desks. The best that we could come up with was that the first Sound Techniques board was in for about 18 months before moving into the new mix room, at which point the new Sound Techniques was brought in. Once again, that lasted about 18 months before the prototype A Range.

To me all 3 were sonically about the same. All were really good. The major difference was in the EQ. You progressively had more options. Bare in mind that everything that was mixed at Trident during that period was mixed using the first Sound Techniques board and so that alone should give you a good idea of how that sounded.

Cheers
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search