The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mics on drums
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Mics on drums

Hey again Ken! Thanks for answering my previous question! Here is another one if I may be so bold.

After watching your Epik Drums behind the scenes videos, I was wondering a couple things about how you mic your drums. Specifically, I'm curious about your philosophy for using condensers as your close up mics on the snare/tom and then ribbons as overheads. I find it very intriquing when the norm these days seem to be dynamics for close up and the brighter condenser mics for overheads.

I do have to say that I've experimented with Audio Technica 4050s on snare, but never much ventured beyond that.

Thanks again!!
Old 22nd December 2010
Special Guest

Hi, The norm? There is no norm in recording. Or is that crying in baseball? Oh hell I get so confused these days.

Many moons ago I latched on to a set up that worked for me, the sounds I liked as a basis to work from. Condensers on the drums was it. I've used others a few times in the past and they turned out fine, but I try and stick with what I'm most comfortable with. And as far as condensers as overheads, I basically find them too harsh. There is a warmth that comes from using ribbons that I really like. But that's me and there is no norm in recording.

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search