The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nilsson's vox on "Lottery Song"
Old 12th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Nilsson's vox on "Lottery Song"

Hi, Ken --

First off: thank you for furnishing me with an adolescence of great-sounding recordings and for submitting yourself to our Spanish Inquisition!

My question relates to Harry Nilsson's vocals in "The Lottery Song." I've always thought his voice never sounded fuller, or more present than it did in that song, and over the years I've often wondered under what conditions he recorded it. I'm curious about the signal chain and characteristics of the room/booth it was sung in as much as any impressions or anecdotes you may care to share about those sessions.

While I'm asking: can you tell us anything you may recall about the piano, room, and signal chain Nicky Hopkins played on, in, and through, respectively?

Thanks in advance, and cheers!
Old 23rd December 2010
Special Guest

Hi, I wish I could furnish you with some information, but I have to admit I have no recollection of recording that particular song. My one suggestion is to check out the videos on Youtube entitled "Did Somebody Drop His Mouse", they're really rough but you will see him recording vocals. I think you see him using a Neumann U67. The other possibility is "Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)? It's a documentary available through Amazon. I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure they will have used some of the Trident video cleaned up. Sorry I couldn't give you more info.

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search