The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
30+ years from now
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Maniac

30+ years from now

What sort of business models do you see winning in decades to come? Are there labels? We have a world now with the internet that almost makes the labels irrelevant, if not entirely, do you think many artists are too afraid to go it alone entirely?

It seems the majority of artists are doing it alone, youtube etc. but the majority of those successful have the labels behind them or are snapped up by the labels when popular!

Also do you think the labels want to do less and less and expect more? IE a band might run the ring for years and suddenly once the labels see them getting more successful pluck them from the underground?

And finally, do you think music has become less and less valuable as the main format is now MP3 (for many!), artists releasing one off singles and pushing those for a few weeks (Rihanna etc.) and band's albums becoming '2 for £10' within months of release! For the quick buck have they essentially stripped the sole away instead of getting people to believe in music once again like the ''good old days''....days which you were clearly apart of!

What's your take on what's happened in 40, even 50 years.
Old 23rd December 2010
Special Guest

Hi, I'm sorry, as soon as one starts mentioning business models I see cans of beans in supermarkets. Musical talent was, is and always will be the defining factor of how music is handled. There was no business model that was in place for Elvis or The Beatles. And there will be no business model in place for the next big thing.

Bands, at least the wise ones, have come to realise it's better to sell 1000 records for which they receive 100% of the monies than to sign a deal with the devil and nearly always receive a royalty statement that says that no matter how many records you've sold you still haven't recouped through your meager 8% after packaging deductions (even on downloads) and all the other little costs they throw in that you have no control over.

The internet will be the saving grace, I believe. The problem is that at the moment it's saturated. Someone has to come up with a really good way to allow the buyers, music fans, to find things they like, and that isn't a computer driven program that tells you if you like this one you're sure to like this other one.

Labels have wanted to do less and less since the 80s. I was working with a band named Missing Persons in the early 80s and we had the number 1 most requested record of the year on KROQ, a highly influential radio station at the time, and had sold out the Santa Monica Civic, a fairly large hall, before we were offered even a bad deal.

I think music has become less and less valuable because what the major labels throw out there is less and less valuable, not because of the MP3. Record companies are only interested in the bottom line at the end of the quarter. And to that end, the sooner you burn out on one song the sooner you'll buy the next. Cheap, cheerful, throwaway music.

And that's my last rant for the day. I have views on the last 40 to 50 years but that would take me the rest of the day to try and write in a cohesive fashion and I have too many other things to do today.

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search