The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Click tracks, tempos, swing and groove
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Click tracks, tempos, swing and groove

Paul,

How do you choose your tempos? What do you typically use for a click? A percussion sample or scratch VST track?

How do you approach swing and groove? Mostly use live drummers or do you ever use hardware? How do you keep things grooving in the studio?

D
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Paul,

How do you choose your tempos? What do you typically use for a click? A percussion sample or scratch VST track?

How do you approach swing and groove? Mostly use live drummers or do you ever use hardware? How do you keep things grooving in the studio?

D
Hello Again,

For clicks I tend to use percussion loops or Hip Hop record samples with a cool feel.
I only use a straight clicky click if I'm checking timing.

For swing and groove I mostly manually draw the groove in myself on the grid by offsetting things here and there. Like a late first snare and a spot on one on the 4. (That's a Memphis thing) I like late hi hats. I like a spot on 1 beat on a heavier kick and then lighter lazier mid bar kicks (A la JB). I use a few ghost notes and a few syncopated notes to spice up rhythms (Bit Meters).

My default swing setting is somewhere in the middle of straight and swung (Bit Meters again).

I occasionally use groove templates if they work out okay and I can quantise with them.....

I prefer the ambience of a real drummer in a good room but I like to mix it up with 808's & DMX style sounds. I like the Tanzbar and also some of the kitsch sounding early drum machines. I have some Eurorack modular drums too which I like to mess with or the O Coast too.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Hello Again,

For clicks I tend to use percussion loops or Hip Hop record samples with a cool feel.
I only use a straight clicky click if I'm checking timing.

For swing and groove I mostly manually draw the groove in myself on the grid by offsetting things here and there. Like a late first snare and a spot on one on the 4. (That's a Memphis thing) I like late hi hats. I like a spot on 1 beat on a heavier kick and then lighter lazier mid bar kicks (A la JB). I use a few ghost notes and a few syncopated notes to spice up rhythms (Bit Meters).

My default swing setting is somewhere in the middle of straight and swung (Bit Meters again).

I occasionally use groove templates if they work out okay and I can quantise with them.....

I prefer the ambience of a real drummer in a good room but I like to mix it up with 808's & DMX style sounds. I like the Tanzbar and also some of the kitsch sounding early drum machines. I have some Eurorack modular drums too which I like to mess with or the O Coast too.
Thanks. Never thought of using a loop or sample for the click. That would be way more fun and musician-friendly.

Are you using Ableton or Logic? Do you have the loop/sample stretched and locked so that you can adjust tempo? Do you have a template setup with your preferred “timing loop” (aka click substitute)?

Any other tips for getting overdubs in time in a musician friendly way - do you have a workflow for what you run in the cans?
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

I see you're enjoying the Peak at the moment

Last edited by Reptil; 22nd February 2020 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: edited request poster
Old 22nd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Thanks. Never thought of using a loop or sample for the click. That would be way more fun and musician-friendly.

Are you using Ableton or Logic? Do you have the loop/sample stretched and locked so that you can adjust tempo? Do you have a template setup with your preferred “timing loop” (aka click substitute)?

Any other tips for getting overdubs in time in a musician friendly way - do you have a workflow for what you run in the cans?
I use Ableton and Pro Tools. Pro Tools for tracking most live room instruments and Ableton for tracking synths, chopping up loops and syncing drum machines clocked by SND-Acme or Silent Way.

I try to keep instruments ready to track at all times and I can hook up loops to play to very quickly.

It's an old one but I encourage singers to have one can off their ear to help with timing and pitch.

I also have a Hear Technologies Hearback system so players can mess around mixing themselves. I send stems from Pro Tools and that tends to make them more comfortable and confident.

If possible it's great to have players just jamming live but it makes it hard to sync up later. That's where warp in Ableton comes in though!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search