The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talk about taking risks
Old 19th February 2020
Here for the gear

Talk about taking risks

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your insights!

Could you talk about taking risks in writing, producing and the music biz in general? Going against the herd, following your gut, etc.
Old 20th February 2020
Hi, no worries it's a pleasure to share.

I remember presenting Big Calm to the record company in 1997 and I knew we had nailed something special and the boss said, "this is all very well but there's no market in chill out music" Ha ha, that went on to sell about 5 million physical and silly amounts of downloads and streams.
That was written on a boring Christmas night in 1995 before the first album dropped. I knew we would be so busy promoting and touring that we should write the follow up album before the first album was released while we were warm. So we went back to the studio, got high, sat down and I said to Ross (My brother at the time) we need to write a song every 5 minutes, so i grabbed a pen and a dictafone and wrote the lyric and sang toplines to the album while he played chords on acoustic guitar. That night we wrote 90% of Big Calm.

Our attitude to music was rooted in Wu Tang style beats and psychedelic sounds with melodies. I never really raved as I didn't like the music so our music was anti-rave which was ironic as ravers used it as come down music.

The music business is a fickle beast and it's important to remind yourself that it's the worst of both worlds. They know nothing about music or business. Therefore just having a ton of self belief and doing what you think sounds right is the way to go....

When we began it was easier to succeed and there were very few "Trip Hop" bands. I don't know how I would approach todays climate. Probably the same way, just getting in peoples faces and trying to network as much as possible.

Having Laptops & Logic is a massive advantage technology wise compared to the limitations we worked with but I can't help feel that todays music lacks the character that the old gear used to muster. I think there is a tendency to become overwhelmed by presets and choice before the basic songwriting has been accomplished.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search