The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bass drum technique
Old 19th February 2020
Gear Nut

bass drum technique

Dear Paul,

thank you for your great music and knowledge share!

Is that a Horch FET in front of the Ludwig Kick on the drums picture? I remember reading that you like it a lot. As I constantly search for a better bass drum sound (this also applies to classical concert bass drums) could you maybe elaborate on your Bassdrum techniques?

all the best

bojan
Old 20th February 2020
Thanks for visiting!

I use the Horch FM2J to capture the low end front of kick as I prefer it to the Neumann 47 fet. It has an octave lower.
And I use a cheap scooped MXL A55 kicker mic for the inside of the kick.

I often place a ribbon above the kick and the snare also to capture some air up top.

I then if possible line up all the sound waves on Pro Tools so they all thump at the same time.

That Ludwig 70's Maple kick is the best kick I have ever heard, it is so punchy.

I firmly believe that the kick should be as close as possible to the "home" key of the song. Which means I can't always use my Ludwig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan_1 View Post
Dear Paul,

thank you for your great music and knowledge share!

Is that a Horch FET in front of the Ludwig Kick on the drums picture? I remember reading that you like it a lot. As I constantly search for a better bass drum sound (this also applies to classical concert bass drums) could you maybe elaborate on your Bassdrum techniques?

all the best

bojan
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Nut

Thank you, Paul! I'll try the Horch then soon.

all the best

bojan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search