The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you had to build us a mic locker...
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

If you had to build us a mic locker...

Hey Paul,

Can you make us a shopping list - a high end vocal mic or two (maybe a tube mic), a pair of ribbons, a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics, and a few dynamic mics. Can you tell us what you always reach for first in tracking: drums, pianos, vocals.

Thanks

-D
Old 19th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Hey Paul,

Can you make us a shopping list - a high end vocal mic or two (maybe a tube mic), a pair of ribbons, a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics, and a few dynamic mics. Can you tell us what you always reach for first in tracking: drums, pianos, vocals.

Thanks

-D
Well I like the Horch Rm2j and the Bock 251 which would cover U47 and C12. Or the real things if you can find good examples.

The AEA ribbons are great, so a pair of those what ever you want to spend or a pair of Coles 4038.

A pair of Neumann KM84.

SM57’s, Beyer M88, SM 7, MXL A55 Kicker, Sennheiser 441 & 421. EV RE20 and a kit for drums.

The first mic for drums is the SM69 tube as an overhead.

Same for piano and acoustic guitar. It always works.

For male vocals it is normally either the Horch or Voxorama for the 47 vibe or a C12 or Bock 251 for females. For hip hop or R&B it’s the Sony C800 or a Chandler REDD. All these get a ribbon as a second mic to add body and saturation.
Old 19th February 2020
Gear Head

How do you mitigate phase problems when using two mics on vocals?
Old 19th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Well I like the Horch Rm2j and the Bock 251 which would cover U47 and C12. Or the real things if you can find good examples.

The AEA ribbons are great, so a pair of those what ever you want to spend or a pair of Coles 4038.

A pair of Neumann KM84.

SM57’s, Beyer M88, SM 7, MXL A55 Kicker, Sennheiser 441 & 421. EV RE20 and a kit for drums.

For male vocals it is normally either the Horch or Voxorama for the 47 vibe or a C12 or Bock 251 for females. For hip hop or R&B it’s the Sony C800 or a Chandler REDD. All these get a ribbon as a second mic to add body and saturation.
First of all, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and taste!
Are you still using the AA cm800t?
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post

A pair of Neumann KM84.

Awesome. Thanks. It looks like the SM69 is pretty much unobtanium. Is there a modern stereo alternative mic you like for piano and overhead?
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Awesome. Thanks. It looks like the SM69 is pretty much unobtanium. Is there a modern stereo alternative mic you like for piano and overhead?
Well the closest stereo mic would be the Early SM69 Fet, which sounds great too and is only about £2k. The tube ones are still around but they are about £7k now.

Or the AKG C24 is a beauty too but about £12k. It's brighter so I prefer the SM69 but the C24 is great for the same applications and vocals.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

I know you own a U67RI. What's your favorite applications for it? It's my only LDC mic so I'm using it for just about everything (male and female vocals, acoustics and electric guitars are my primary uses)
Old 22nd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
I know you own a U67RI. What's your favorite applications for it? It's my only LDC mic so I'm using it for just about everything (male and female vocals, acoustics and electric guitars are my primary uses)
I have a pair and I've only just put a pair of NOS Telefunken EF806s tubes in them so I haven't really used them much. I'll use them on vocals, drums, guitars and electric guitar amps. I'd like to preserve my SM69 tube.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search