The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering your own mixes
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Mastering your own mixes

Hi Paul,

Very very fan of your work in Morcheeba here. I must have listened "Blood like lemonade" like hundreds of times. You mixed the album an then also mastered it, and I see that you usually mix and master, so my questions are:

¿How do you approach the mastering of your own mixes? It is always said that the mastering engineer must have an objective and analytical point of view of the work being mastered, ¿how do you take some perspective from your own work?

¿Don't you feel the temptation of going back to the mix to change something in a neverending loop?

¿How do you use your equipment to master? I mean, if you have used some gear when mixing, ¿you try to avoid it in the mastering using other tools or you use the same gear with different settings?

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 18th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcamp View Post
Hi Paul,

Very very fan of your work in Morcheeba here. I must have listened "Blood like lemonade" like hundreds of times. You mixed the album an then also mastered it, and I see that you usually mix and master, so my questions are:

¿How do you approach the mastering of your own mixes? It is always said that the mastering engineer must have an objective and analytical point of view of the work being mastered, ¿how do you take some perspective from your own work?

¿Don't you feel the temptation of going back to the mix to change something in a neverending loop?

¿How do you use your equipment to master? I mean, if you have used some gear when mixing, ¿you try to avoid it in the mastering using other tools or you use the same gear with different settings?

Thank you very much in advance!
I think mastering is easy. Mixing is way harder. Most mastering engineers are really overrated especially in the digital age. I only use one if I'm really exhausted.

Blood like Lemonade was funny, it was the first time I ever mastered an album and it was going straight to the pressing plant for 200,000 cd copies. I was a little nervous but that's how I've always learnt skills.

These days my mixing/master bus is so good that I can do the whole thing in one go.
It is Hybrid with Prism Titans into the console/processing etc. then mixed into a Fairchild, then a Curvebender or a Knife Soma then either the RND MBP2 or the Vertigo VSC2 then maybe the Dangerous Bax then the Black Box HG2 or the VSM 2 then the Overstayer MAS then the Rockruepel Limit.one, the the Dangerous-convert+ with clip guard and the transformer cranked up. I hit zero without software and maybe just use some Softube Weiss plugs or Fabfilter eq & limiter to iron out any differences.

I never feel like going back, I'm always happy more or less and I just move on...

I'm always learning along the way and I love what I do. I'm so lucky to earn a living making money, making music.

Thanks for the great question!
Old 18th February 2020
Here for the gear

Very inspiring, Paul. I tend to tinker with my mixes too much.
Nice mastering chain, it gave a couple of ideas to try.
Thank you very much.

Last edited by Reptil; 19th February 2020 at 11:22 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search