The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panning and width
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear

Panning and width

I would be intrigued to know if you have any particular panning strategies in order to achieve width, whilst retaining mono compatibility for the consumers who only ever listen on their smartphones...
Old 17th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraan View Post
I would be intrigued to know if you have any particular panning strategies in order to achieve width, whilst retaining mono compatibility for the consumers who only ever listen on their smartphones...
When I pan it's usually on a per instrument basis. I don't do it on whole tracks although I usually have a bit of Rupert Neve Designs width switched in if I am using the MBP II.
I use Waves and Nugen and other plugs mainly for width. I love Nugen Mono filter to make sure the bass is centred from about 200 hz down. The width is usually just added to the higher frequencies and the mids are fairly standard which is what the phone and laptops hear.
The mids are the most important frequencies traditionally in mixing, with jukeboxes and Dansette record players etc.

When we first started we were quite snobbish and I used to say that if people don't have a good listening system then screw them. Somewhere along the line I obviously mellowed.

A good panning trick is to switch it into mono and pan the track around. When it finds its spot it just pops out. Then you can go back to stereo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search