The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please share a little bit about your creative process when composing
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Please share a little bit about your creative process when composing

Hi Paul,

Big fan, love the new studio you build, it looks amazing! Great idea for a recording space.

I am very interested if you would be willing to share something about your creative processes and best practices when composing and recording. To give some direction here are a couple of questions:

1. When you create a new musical idea/song, do you compose the original ideas on paper, in a DAW using something like midi, or create them while playing on a particular instrument?

2. Have you formalized any rules or best practices for yourself which you would like to share with others, when it comes to staying creative and productive?

3. Do you have a favorite workflow in the process of going from a new song idea to song creation? What does that process look like for you?

4. Are there any VST instruments you use and if so, what are your 3 favorites and what do you use them for?

5. How many musical ideas/song ideas you have get skipped/dropped after having worked on them for a while because you are not satisfied where it is going?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by STATICERROR View Post
Hi Paul,

Big fan, love the new studio you build, it looks amazing! Great idea for a recording space.

I am very interested if you would be willing to share something about your creative processes and best practices when composing and recording. To give some direction here are a couple of questions:

1. When you create a new musical idea/song, do you compose the original ideas on paper, in a DAW using something like midi, or create them while playing on a particular instrument?

2. Have you formalized any rules or best practices for yourself which you would like to share with others, when it comes to staying creative and productive?

3. Do you have a favorite workflow in the process of going from a new song idea to song creation? What does that process look like for you?

4. Are there any VST instruments you use and if so, what are your 3 favorites and what do you use them for?

5. How many musical ideas/song ideas you have get skipped/dropped after having worked on them for a while because you are not satisfied where it is going?
Thank you, yes I've been very lucky in my career and I have usually reinvested it back into music or studios. It's great to work away from home now. When I lived in France I worked at home and it felt a bit suffocating. I enjoy music more when I have somewhere to go and meet people to have fun and play.

1. I make mood playlists of music that inspires me at that time in my life and then see what happens, there is no formula, it can be singing into my phone, sampling a loop, writing a lyric or playing some chords with a bass line.

2. I just go to work almost everyday and work until I'm tired. I have a very understanding Wife. I try to balance things out but I accepted that Music keeps me sane and I need to be creative, so I don't have much of a social life or see my family often enough.

3. I like to work on a batch of songs and keep switching so I don't get bored. Eventually after writing about 50 song ideas, 10 of them will work well and I get more and more focussed until I'm ready to mix.

4. I use the G-Force M-tron Pro and VSM and I also like Egoist for randomising drums and bass. I let it jam for a while and then keep the good chunks.

5. Oh I can't remember but if I make 50 per album and only use 10 then maybe something like 500. I find there are always little building blocks you can use somehow though.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Thank you, yes I've been very lucky in my career and I have usually reinvested it back into music or studios. It's great to work away from home now. When I lived in France I worked at home and it felt a bit suffocating. I enjoy music more when I have somewhere to go and meet people to have fun and play.

1. I make mood playlists of music that inspires me at that time in my life and then see what happens, there is no formula, it can be singing into my phone, sampling a loop, writing a lyric or playing some chords with a bass line.

2. I just go to work almost everyday and work until I'm tired. I have a very understanding Wife. I try to balance things out but I accepted that Music keeps me sane and I need to be creative, so I don't have much of a social life or see my family often enough.

3. I like to work on a batch of songs and keep switching so I don't get bored. Eventually after writing about 50 song ideas, 10 of them will work well and I get more and more focussed until I'm ready to mix.

4. I use the G-Force M-tron Pro and VSM and I also like Egoist for randomising drums and bass. I let it jam for a while and then keep the good chunks.

5. Oh I can't remember but if I make 50 per album and only use 10 then maybe something like 500. I find there are always little building blocks you can use somehow though.
Great answers, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Btw, I enjoy playing around with egoist and sampling my own mix back into a session or as a start of a new track, thanks for the tip! It's gotten me a great number of new ideas as well in very short time, neat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search