The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Approach to blending acoustic and electronic
Old 14th February 2020
Question Approach to blending acoustic and electronic

Hey Paul, thanks for doing this. When 'Big Calm' came out I was working in a record store and the assistant manager had that album on the shop PA like EVERY NIGHT. No complaints from me obviously but that kind of introduced me to your oeuvre and we sold quite a few copies as a result.

Anyway, what struck me by it was how 'acoustic' that album can be at times despite your rep as a top electro producer. Was wondering if you had any words about orchestration and introducing acoustic elements into electronic productions... or vice-versa, as it were...

Cheers!
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Hey Paul, thanks for doing this. When 'Big Calm' came out I was working in a record store and the assistant manager had that album on the shop PA like EVERY NIGHT. No complaints from me obviously but that kind of introduced me to your oeuvre and we sold quite a few copies as a result.

Anyway, what struck me by it was how 'acoustic' that album can be at times despite your rep as a top electro producer. Was wondering if you had any words about orchestration and introducing acoustic elements into electronic productions... or vice-versa, as it were...

Cheers!
Very good question! It's a tightrope I've walked all my career. I believe coming from a proper Hip Hop background I'm used to hearing disparate elements sampled and stuck together like folk guitars and slamming beats or a string section with an 808.

It's a difficult balance to get right but I think the reason we were so successful was because we appealed to both sexes. Girls would play our music but Fella's wouldn't mind it either so we had commercial crossover success despite flying under the radar most of the time.

Thanks for the recognition as a "Top electro producer"! I decided at the beginning to share all the credit and even gave away an equal share of my songs. It has been to the detriment of my solo career but I'm naturally generous and I liked to keep the team motivated which helped keep us together for 20 years.
It's hard to reinvent the wheel when you are in a career band so using different blends of instrumentation helps keep the process interesting too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search