The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you had to keep one single mic and one single sound-generator
Old 14th February 2020
If you had to keep one single mic and one single sound-generator

Hey Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to do this Q+A, big trip-hop fan here!

Pretty straightforward question that is somewhat tricky but hopefully fun: If you had to keep one single mic and one single sound generator (synth, drum machine, guitar etc)...what would you keep?

You have a lot of experience and I can imagine you have seen, used and heard a ton of gear, so I was wondering what's on your "desert island" list.

Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Hey Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to do this Q+A, big trip-hop fan here!

Pretty straightforward question that is somewhat tricky but hopefully fun: If you had to keep one single mic and one single sound generator (synth, drum machine, guitar etc)...what would you keep?

You have a lot of experience and I can imagine you have seen, used and heard a ton of gear, so I was wondering what's on your "desert island" list.

Hey Diogo!

Single mic - SM69 Tube - sounds great on everything and it's stereo.
Sound Generator, that's tricky - I'd like Ableton & Push if you'll let me?
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Hey Diogo!

Single mic - SM69 Tube - sounds great on everything and it's stereo.
Interesting choice! I could be wrong but I think I've also heard @ Jules saying great things about that mic. Too bad it is a bit hard to find and when you do it costs a small fortune, but surely looks like one hell of a mic.

Quote:
Sound Generator, that's tricky - I'd like Ableton & Push if you'll let me?
Well played sir, well played!

Since we're on it...have you been using more VIs instead of hardware synths or are you mixing up both worlds?

Thanks once again Paul!
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Interesting choice! I could be wrong but I think I've also heard @ Jules saying great things about that mic. Too bad it is a bit hard to find and when you do it costs a small fortune, but surely looks like one hell of a mic.

Well played sir, well played!

Since we're on it...have you been using more VIs instead of hardware synths or are you mixing up both worlds?

Thanks once again Paul!
Well to me the mic is sweeter than a U67 so it's very useful on all sources. Especially drums. It's the only mic you need on a kit.

I don't tend to use VI's if I'm tracking songs apart from a couple I couldn't get in the hardware world. I use them more for writing with PUSH or an Isla Kordbot to get bass lines, chords and melody ideas down quickly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search