The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording and Mixing Process for "Greedy Beats" Drums
Old 13th February 2020
Recording and Mixing Process for "Greedy Beats" Drums

Hi Paul!

I love the sonics and vibe of your "Greedy Beats" loops. Can you describe the recording and mixing process you used to create those drums? It would of course be a huge bonus if you could include pictures or videos to help visualize the space and gear.

Thanks for your time!
Dylan

Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

I'd like to add that I like to support the GS in their projects. Where is the product available for purchase?
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwissing View Post
Hi Paul!

I love the sonics and vibe of your "Greedy Beats" loops. Can you describe the recording and mixing process you used to create those drums? It would of course be a huge bonus if you could include pictures or videos to help visualize the space and gear.

Thanks for your time!
Dylan

Thanks Dylan, I’m trying to dig out some decent photos of the drum set up. Let me get back to you on those details......I love your work buy the way
Old 14th February 2020
I've collected drum breaks since I was a young kid when I first heard "Grand Master Flash on the wheels on Steel" and Steinski's "Lessons"
That cut and paste aesthetic has always fascinated me and the heart has always been a killer drum break like "Funky Drummer" or "Apache" etc.
Hip Hop culture along with Electro has been the only forward thinking musical art form in the last 45 years imo.

So this led to me trying to play and record drums and realising how hard it actually is to do it properly like my heroes. There is a quote on your video Dylan from your colleague about how hard it is to replicate, where they probably just threw up a couple of mics and got on with it. This is true. When I worked with Andy Newmark once he said Sly Stone had a toy drum kit that he wanted recorded as quickly as possible and he has some of the most killer grooves ever, not to mention being one of the originators to mix drum machines with live kit.

Anyway after about 25 years of trying to make breaks and loops I realised that space had a lot to do with it and nailing the nuances of the groove.
I recorded some one shots in my courtyard in France that have gone viral, the sound is so good because the noise disperses perfectly because their is no roof. Obviously this doesn't make for a studio as it's not weather proof so the next best thing would be a vey high ceiling, so I bought a little church in Hastings on the South Coast of the UK and converted with the help of acoustic wizard Andy Munro.

Then it was just a case of tuning the drums and throwing some nice mics around the kit. I like ribbons, like RCA, AEA Beyer and STC, old dynamics like Shure and EV and even some of the new cheap ones like the A55 kicker plus nice Condensers like Neumann SM69 Tube and the AKG C24. This all went on a soundproof and concrete sandwich to isolate any resonance.

I tend to mix the natural air of the kit with big spring reverbs like the AKG BX20, the Master Room an EMT 240 plate and offset these to the tempo to get the slap back right.
I worked in studios for years as a kid and I never liked those little glass drum rooms with 15 mics on a kit, all the phase issues and reflections always ruined the sound for me. The Glynn Johns technique and variations of that came much closer to the sound I had in my head.

Anyway there are some great drummers here in Hastings and I let them do there thing and I just tried to capture it as well as I could. Mixing down I also used a lot of saturation and well timed compression to get even more breathe from the rhythms.

Here are some pictures that I hope illustrate the space we work in. I have a "drumbrella" now on a pulley and more acoustic treatment but it still sounds huge.
Speaking of which, I like the drums played softly like Clyde Stubblefield so you can really hear the dynamics of the rhythm. People think groove is all about timing but dynamics and volume is just as important to getting a great groove.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording and Mixing Process for "Greedy Beats" Drums-img_3039.jpg   Recording and Mixing Process for "Greedy Beats" Drums-img_3020.jpg   Recording and Mixing Process for "Greedy Beats" Drums-img_4192.jpg   Recording and Mixing Process for "Greedy Beats" Drums-img_0411.jpg  
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Paul. Thanks for sharing that history. Amazing dedication to your craft, buying a church!
Old 15th February 2020
Paul, there is so much amazing information in here - thank you for taking the time to do this Q&A! Your drum tracking setup is one to which I aspire to, one day when I'm all grown up. One immediate takeaway from your post is the A55 Kicker - that's definitely in the working musician's budget, and now I'm curious to see if it will make my drums sound just like they came out of your old church.

My gateway into your sonic world was "Big Calm" (you guys had me from the second I saw that cover art, which fit the vibe of the music inside perfectly). Realizing that the record is over twenty years old at this point, and some of this info may be lost to the mists of time, I'm wondering about a couple of specific drum sounds from the record and am curious if you remember any details you can share about how you got them:

There's a very thick, dark snare drum on the tracks "Shoulder Holster" (at 0:55) and "Let Me See" (starting at the intro). I've always loved the sound of those drums, and I'm wondering if you can shed any light on how those sounds were achieved: the drums, player, tracking space, mixing and processing, and the like.

No worries if you don't have any info. I'm loving the other posts in this thread as well. Thanks again!
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I recorded some one shots in my courtyard in France that have gone viral, the sound is so good because the noise disperses perfectly because their is no roof.
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for these one shots! I grabbed them years ago when you shared them here on GS...just used some Kickslutz samples this last week and a hit from Sidesticks & Stones. Indeed, the courtyard dispersion is just beautiful...giving such depth of sound without taking up too much space!

Gracias!
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Nut

Dear Paul,

thank you for your great music and knowledge share!

Is that a Horch FET in front of the Ludwig Kick? Maybe elaborate on your Bassdrum/Snare technique?

all the best

bojan
Old 19th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdpath View Post
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for these one shots! I grabbed them years ago when you shared them here on GS...just used some Kickslutz samples this last week and a hit from Sidesticks & Stones. Indeed, the courtyard dispersion is just beautiful...giving such depth of sound without taking up too much space!

Gracias!
Yes it's all about beautiful diffusion, I was very happy with the sound.

I find in small spaces however hard you try to make the drums breathe, it's very hard work. Digital reverbs on their own don't blend too great, even expensive ones.

I really like the Tegeler reverb though. It sounds very natural.

The "Greedy Beat" sample pack is proving very popular, I'm very grateful to everyone that has bought the pack.
Old 20th February 2020
What are the extra questions I'm missing here about drums? The deleted ones?
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
What are the extra questions I'm missing here about drums? The deleted ones?

< hi Paul, good morning. I have undeleted them. It would be better as seperate questions, so it's easier to find, but let's do it like this, in this thread then. Thank you for sharing your insights! >
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwissing View Post
Paul, there is so much amazing information in here - thank you for taking the time to do this Q&A! Your drum tracking setup is one to which I aspire to, one day when I'm all grown up. One immediate takeaway from your post is the A55 Kicker - that's definitely in the working musician's budget, and now I'm curious to see if it will make my drums sound just like they came out of your old church.

My gateway into your sonic world was "Big Calm" (you guys had me from the second I saw that cover art, which fit the vibe of the music inside perfectly). Realizing that the record is over twenty years old at this point, and some of this info may be lost to the mists of time, I'm wondering about a couple of specific drum sounds from the record and am curious if you remember any details you can share about how you got them:

There's a very thick, dark snare drum on the tracks "Shoulder Holster" (at 0:55) and "Let Me See" (starting at the intro). I've always loved the sound of those drums, and I'm wondering if you can shed any light on how those sounds were achieved: the drums, player, tracking space, mixing and processing, and the like.

No worries if you don't have any info. I'm loving the other posts in this thread as well. Thanks again!
Ha Ha,

Here's a little secret, the Ray Conniff Orchestra's Hi Fi companion:

The record company had done a survey and said that red albums sold more so we took our green sleeve (ha ha) and tinted it red. His sleeve inspired us which inspired many others....

Regarding drums I'm afraid I can't go into details. Both of those raw sounds and rhythms were inspired by The Dust Brothers' production on Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique and Beck Odelay, they were cut up chunks of old breaks and flipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording and Mixing Process for &quot;Greedy Beats&quot; Drums-image.png   Recording and Mixing Process for &quot;Greedy Beats&quot; Drums-image.png  
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan_1 View Post
Dear Paul,

thank you for your great music and knowledge share!

Is that a Horch FET in front of the Ludwig Kick? Maybe elaborate on your Bassdrum/Snare technique?

all the best

bojan
Thank You!

Yes the lovely Horch! The snare was an AEA R92 but will now probably be a KU5A.
I like ribbons on snares as the Hi Hat doesn't bleed too badly or nastily.
Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Ha Ha,

Here's a little secret, the Ray Conniff Orchestra's Hi Fi companion:

The record company had done a survey and said that red albums sold more so we took our green sleeve (ha ha) and tinted it red. His sleeve inspired us which inspired many others....
That's awesome. Speaking as a member of 10% of humanity who is colorblind, I'd have to say the red cover was the way to go - it pops way more! And now I have new vintage vinyl to hunt down...

Quote:
Regarding drums I'm afraid I can't go into details. Both of those raw sounds and rhythms were inspired by The Dust Brothers' production on Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique and Beck Odelay, they were cut up chunks of old breaks and flipped.
Totally understood. And this is how I got into the sample replay business in the first place. "Hey drummer, can you get us the sound of those Dust Brothers/Morcheeba breaks? We need it to be an exact replica." Down the rabbit hole we go in search of the sound!

Thanks again for sharing all of your wisdom and expertise - this is a great thread!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search