The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Gear.. Synths & Drum Machines
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Head

New Gear.. Synths & Drum Machines

So what do you make of all the latest drum machines & synths that have been coming out.

Have you picked any of the korgs or rolands up and what do you make of them?

Are you happy to see a new bunch of reissues and boutiques etc or do you think that companies are playing it too safe, releasing old ideas and letting price shave the spec?

Those seem to be the 2 camps people split themselves into anyway.

Would be nice to hear your POV.

BTW Have you ever been asked to do sound design for patches or develop software or hardware?
Old 12th March 2017
Special Guest

Hi Oask

yes i have the Korg volca's ( the original 3 ) really like the synths especially the keys, not so hooked on the beats but it has its moments . the roland boutique jx has a certain something and i like the tr 8 for its 808 element.

i don't really care about the whole reissue thing, why not? if people like it , not a problem. personally I'm more interested in quality cutting edge things. I have an electron rytm , which is a really fun drum machine , it does its own thing yet sits in a familiar place. i like the look of the Modor poly synth and I think the whole euro rack world has a great slant on things , especially companies like mutable instruments ( i don't actually have any ) . having said that i had a go on a moog 15 and it sounded remarkable , but i just wasn't prepared to pay the 10,000 price tag! Club of the knobs is the way to go there i think.

I'd like to see a trend of modern characterful knob per function(ish) samplers and way out digital synths.

i made a sound set for roland for the v synth and for moog for the slim phatty .

Last edited by paul h; 12th March 2017 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
Hi Oask

yes i have the Korg volca's ( the original 3 ) really like the synths especially the keys, not so hooked on the beats but it has its moments . the roland boutique jx has a certain something and i like the tr 8 for its 808 element.

i don't really care about the whole reissue thing, why not? if people like it , not a problem. personally I'm more interested in quality cutting edge things. I have an electron rytm , which is a really fun drum machine , it does its own thing yet sits in a familiar place. i like the look of the Modor poly synth and I think the whole euro rack world has a great slant on things , especially companies like mutable instruments ( i don't actually have any ) . having said that i had a go on a moog 15 and it sounded remarkable , but i just wasn't prepared to pay the 10,000 price tag! Club of the knobs is the way to go there i think.

I'd like to see a trend of modern characterful knob per function(ish) samplers and way out digital synths.

i made a sound set for roland for the v synth and for moog for the slim phatty .
Hi Paul,

Really cool to hear that you made a sound set for the V-Synth. Could I ask which sounds you made? I have the original V-Synth and I think it's an absolutely fabulous synth
Old 15th March 2017
Special Guest

It was simply a paul hartnoll sound set , only 20 patches I think. Not sure where you can download them , probably worth a google search or a trawl through the Roland site.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
It was simply a paul hartnoll sound set , only 20 patches I think. Not sure where you can download them , probably worth a google search or a trawl through the Roland site.
Great, thanks. What do you think about the V-Synth? Did it find its way into any of your productions?
I think it's an awesome synth, personally, probably my favorite synth ever
Old 16th March 2017
Special Guest

The v synth made it onto the ideal condition album and it's my go to for vocoding. I used to like it as a creative sampler but I find it's greatly surpassed by software nowadays . Never liked the VA part but great modulation , especially the sequencer and all the curves you can do with that. I keep it around because I always think I'll find some magic there again one day.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search