The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Adnans!
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Adnans!

Hello lads!

Been a fan since the early 90s. Thank you so much for the music.

Insides is one of the best sounding albums ever made. Emotive and uplifting... It takes you on multiple trips.

A couple questions...

How did you get it to sound so damn good? What mixing, mastering, magic sauce was used?

So... Adnans (quite possibly your very greatest track... Although "Never" is almost up there with it!) (thanks Paul for your cheeky answer about my question all those years ago!)

What did you use for the initial bass sound that comes in at 1:34?

What is that bouncing ball type bass sound at 3:08?

Thanks once again.

Please come and play a gig in Toronto Canada!

Last edited by Reptil; 11th March 2017 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: replaced video for a working one
Old 14th March 2017
Special Guest

hi Lineofcontrol, well the bass line is obviously done on Massive. no only joking , I'm not entirely sure but it is a Roland . Either the jupiter 6 ( my best guess ) or the SH 09. I don't hear a bouncing ball sound coming in at 3:08 , could be some more precision?

apart from a bit of 909 all the drum sounds were samples I made from hanging around in a mates building work shop. I put the mike at the of a big plastic pipe to get the resonant sounds . the first grinding sound is the sound of her plaining some wood recorded through the pipe.

lead 101 , counter melodies and slightly distorted sounds system 100 , pads wave station.
Old 14th March 2017
Special Guest

mixed with no compression , mastered by Kevin Metcalf ( he's the magic sauce )
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks so very much for your answers Paul...this is honestly one of the most coolest things ever...chatting to you virtually about all of these songs....

I have to apoligise. I attached the SHORT version of the song rather than the much cooler long version from the album... so the timing markers were of course completely wrong.

So...
Lovely rubbery bass at 1:34
Percussive bass sound at 3:08!

Please tell !

Old 19th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Thanks so very much for your answers Paul...this is honestly one of the most coolest things ever...chatting to you virtually about all of these songs....

I have to apoligise. I attached the SHORT version of the song rather than the much cooler long version from the album... so the timing markers were of course completely wrong.

So...
Lovely rubbery bass at 1:34
Percussive bass sound at 3:08!

Please tell !

Ha! that makes sense, the first bass at 1:34 i still think is the jupiter 6.
the percussive sound at 3:08 it a sample from the building work shop session. its a flat piece of wood slapping a big plastic pipe with the mike at the far end. i think the pipe was around the 6 foot mark.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search