The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Production versus mixing
Old 7th March 2017
Production versus mixing

Thanks for years of inspiration! You opened my mind in regard to being creative with electronic music. Life-changing.

Two questions: What are your fave new synths from the last 3 years, and how do you approach the production process v. mixing? Good workflow tips would be massive. Many like myself are quite quick at writing a track, but tend to go in circles when mixing...
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

How Has Your Mixing Setup Developed?

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking part here. Long term fan of your music.

I wanted to ask some specifics about how your mixing approach and setup, and how that has developed since computers have become more involved in audio.

Do you still mixing on a console?

What kind of room do you mix in, and what monitors are you finding useful?

Any software, plug ins or outboard gear you wouldn't want to mix without?

Also, do you mix as you work on tunes, or do you have a mixing stage, and do the tunes some times develop from that mixing phase?

<Moderator Message - threads combined; same subject>
Old 11th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
Thanks for years of inspiration! You opened my mind in regard to being creative with electronic music. Life-changing.

Two questions: What are your fave new synths from the last 3 years, and how do you approach the production process v. mixing? Good workflow tips would be massive. Many like myself are quite quick at writing a track, but tend to go in circles when mixing...
firstly , thanks , glad to have been of service!

1. fave new synths are the prophet 6 and the novation bass station 2. we recently bough a vermona perfourmer but not sure if that counts as its probably a bit older.

love the 6 its a fantastic new analog poly , don't care whether it sounds like a prophet 5 or not , It sounds good , end of. its a great blend of flexible tone and character with all the modern twists you don't get with vintage . sync ably lfo's and velocity. the chorus and delay are great too. good for live.

the bass station too for similar reasons , it sits a place that is in the ball park of a roland SH era synth but when you dial in the distortion it gets a bit more moogy. but still it's own thing really. but i haven't found a modern mono with that much packed into it. velocity , syncable LFO's and 2 of them , sub bass. very flexible. great envelope too.

They are both coming live with me as they can cover a huge amount of ground , which is to say 27 years of orbital music.

2. I tend to aim for getting the right sounds as I go along to make the mixing process easier. I don't leave it for later . having said that by the end of a track things have changed and can get too full so when i finish anarraingment i have a listen with my mixing head on and give it a once over , always save it before this in case you loose the vibe and can go back if you want to compare. then i tend to put it aside for the night ,check it in the morning and see where I'm at.

but really for me it's all about getting right as you go along , as much as possible making the mixing process part of the whole thing .

i have learnt over years that mixing as as much about taking away , possible more so , as adding . I don't have it down as an exact science though like some people, but I'm learning!
Old 11th March 2017
Special Guest

i think the bottom line with mixing is , do it quickly and walk away . If you find you have two compessor's and three eq's on a channel, theres something wrong fundamentally . Take them all off and decide if you like the core sound of the part first . yes? then be spat with what you do to it. i see some people starting out pile on the fix trying to fix some thing that could be better with a different starting point. some time people try to shoe horn a sound in to a mix because they like that sound but it just might not work in context. some times you have to let the art take on its own shape by using sounds that fit together rather than the ones you think will fit. I'll stop as I'm waffling now!
Old 11th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask some specifics about how your mixing approach and setup, and how that has developed since computers have become more involved in audio.

Also, do you mix as you work on tunes, or do you have a mixing stage, and do the tunes some times develop from that mixing phase?

sod it! i just wrote a massive reply to you on this and then back spaced and lost it! , ive got to go out now so i'll come back to you...
Old 12th March 2017
Lives for gear

Ah crap sorry to hear that. I hope you can motivate yourself to write again!!
Old 12th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Hi guys,

ok i’m back , I don’t mix on a console any more, we have a nice Midas 32f but i tend to use that as my channel mixer going in and out of the box. once to have it just in case though.

My studio is a sound proof box roughly 5 x 6 metres . I got an acoustic expert in to spec the treatment so it sounds prety good, with around 3,000 pounds worth of panels .

I mix on the same Genelec 1032b’s that we got in the mid 90’s . love them. I recently added a new Genelec sub which made a great difference, i can now really hear what s going on down there. I have developed a habit of also mixing through my lap top speakers and my slightly bigger sounding computer monitor speakers . If you can make it sound good on those three i recon your on pretty safe ground.

no software i wouldn’t mix without , id be happy with the in house Abelton plugs if i had too. but i might miss the NI eq’s and compressors and the sound toys plugs are my go to for distortion.

as far as mixing goes , heres what i said in another thread which pretty much covers it :-

I tend to aim for getting the right sounds as I go along to make the mixing process easier. I don't leave it for later . having said that by the end of a track things have changed and can get too full so when i finish anarraingment i have a listen with my mixing head on and give it a once over , always save it before this in case you loose the vibe and can go back if you want to compare. then i tend to put it aside for the night ,check it in the morning and see where I'm at.

but really for me it's all about getting right as you go along , as much as possible making the mixing process part of the whole thing .

i have learnt over years that mixing as as much about taking away , possible more so , as adding . I don't have it down as an exact science though like some people, but I'm learning!
Old 12th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
some times you have to let the art take on its own shape by using sounds that fit together rather than the ones you think will fit. I'll stop as I'm waffling now!
Please don't stop, that was the best waffle ever! Excellent advice, it's so easy to get attached to a cool sound and lose objectivity with regard to the bigger picture.

It reminds me of something an 80-year old relative of mine (a professional painter) told me at her latest exhibition: I asked her how she knew she was done with a painting she had been working on, and she said "it's when it has started to take on a life of its own and can stand on its own feet". Interesting to view an in-process piece of art as a living entity that can actually tell you where it wants to go, rather than having to be instructed. It is so easy to just start browsing through pre-made patches and hoping to find something that fits...personally I would probably benefit from inhibiting that impulse and let the music tell me the key characteristics the next sound needs to have, before I start looking for it.

Thanks for the synth recommendations too, funnily I was considering a 2nd hand bass station, but found a mono lancet, which if I am not mistaken is 1/4th of a perfourmer :--)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search