The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?
Old 5th March 2017
Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?

So noticed from watching videos and from an article on the Jazzmutant/Liine website, I noticed you're using a couple of iPads running Lemur.
Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?-screen-shot-2017-03-05-07.42.35.png Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?-screen-shot-2017-03-05-07.46.32.jpg

Could you please explain how you've organised this Lemur setup? How does it tie in with the Novation and the other sequencing bits? I'm aware this is an older video so maybe you've changed it.) How do you allow yourself room for improvising (if any)? Do you have any tips how to achieve a balance between pre-recorded sequences and improvisation, and how to set this up on the Lemur? (edit: I noticed you've answered this last question already (a collection of loops and riffs to jam and build tracks live). just curious how that works out practically.)

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?-screen-shot-2017-03-05-07.42.35.png   Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?-screen-shot-2017-03-05-07.46.32.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 10th March 2017 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: -
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Addict

Live Rig

Dear Paul and Phil - I was fortunate enough to catch you perform at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in 1996 at the Live 105 Green Xmas Ball. Great performance!

Anyways, I was interested to know how the gear you incorporate into your live performances has changed over the years and what instruments/gear/technology are you using to perform with this year vs. back in the 90s.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict

Music, Sequencers . . .

Hi there lads. Have loved lots of your stuff, amongst my favourite musical artists ever. My question though is a general one. I remember I think Dave Gilmour on the Pink Floyd Pompeii film talking of trying not to be slaves to the technology which he said was alot harder than said, that the technology pushes you in certain directions which artistically may be double-edged. Imo & perhaps admittedly through not listening to so much contemporary stuff, the electronic peak years were the early to mid 90s which were amazing, something of the late 60s again. Access to technology was of course key to dance music but also & more so the energy of all that spaced-out excitement.

So with all that build-up & trying to get to the point, with the spiritual/emotional/physical rush of that period faded, do you think the tethering of electronic music to things like sequencers is maybe a shackle to be overcome or for you, or is it the necessary starting-point? Thinking of for example Underworld who like yourselves produced amazing stuff, but seeing them live now seems like stuck in something of a karaoke routine where actually 'playing' rather than running sequences live would have far more kinetic musical energy.

If you get to see the long question, regardless of whether you answer it, thanks for all the great stuff!
Old 10th March 2017
<moderator message - threads combined; same subject>
Old 10th March 2017
Special Guest

heres so pictures of the current set up, could all change , this is a work in progress. Im seeing if i can migrate to Abelton push ( maybe 2 of them ) in the future. While i love lemur I'm worried about its future and would like a more robust hardware solution. I still love the old mmt8 system so find that I'm leaning back towards something like that. wouldn't actually use them again, far too flakey and a real pain getting the info in there.

with this current set up push is acting more like the pattern change on the mmt8s but with far more options and the novations are like the mute buttons but with a mixer built in . of far its working well. still using the lemur for the songs I already have proved and ready to go. again for clip and scene launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?-unadjustednonraw_thumb_152c.jpg   Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?-unadjustednonraw_thumb_152d.jpg  
Old 10th March 2017
Special Guest

going to swap the Bass bot for a real 303 with a midi retro fit, the bass bot is lazy when in midi mode. what a shame. waste of time and space !
Old 10th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
just curious how that works out practically.)

Many thanks!
practically its simple a case of prepping every thing in live ( abelton ) for any eventuality you may want then making a button layout in lemur that feels good , remember you have to rely on this in the heat of battle . I ofter name buttons with humour so i get a little reminder to relax on stage. colours are good.

then just simple midi learn them and away you go! always takes a bit of juggling to get it right and i find i often over complicate then simplify.
Old 10th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Shield View Post
Dear Paul and Phil - I was fortunate enough to catch you perform at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in 1996 at the Live 105 Green Xmas Ball. Great performance!

was that the gig with the Chems?

Anyways, I was interested to know how the gear you incorporate into your live performances has changed over the years and what instruments/gear/technology are you using to perform with this year vs. back in the 90s.
the main changes are from 2010 we used a laptop and lemur to do the job of the mmt8 hardware sequencers and the sampling duties went into the box as well. We used to use Emu samplers live , the last one being the E4 ultra. apart from that , the synths change around over the years but the process is pretty much the same .
Old 13th March 2017
Thank you for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
.......While i love lemur I'm worried about its future and would like a more robust hardware solution.
I went over to their site to have a look, and they've got a Lemur Controller V2 hardware solution out. I'd hoped it would be standalone and have a lot of connections at the back. Or some breakout box. link

What I really wanted to ask is; can you recommend some patches for the iPad Lemur or do you have any favorites?
(and why? ) link

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Your Lemur setup and improvisation on stage?-screen-shot-2017-03-13-00.00.15am.jpg  
Old 15th March 2017
Special Guest

No favourite patches , I've had some fun looking but I really only use it with custom build patches . I make one page per song and that's about it. I had a look at that control 2 but I'd rather use a push if I was going down that road.
Old 15th March 2017
Special Guest

Ha! This was the thread where I put my live set up pics before!
Old 15th March 2017
yes it is.
thank you very much.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
was that the gig with the Chems?
Haha yup that was the show.

Thanks for your insights!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread: