The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Workflow - sessions
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear
Workflow - sessions

Do you guys enter the studio and have it in your mind what you want to do - like what type of sound your looking for and basically are immediately focused on the track or do you go in and twiddle knobs/program, drink tea/scratch yourselves a jam and record everything then chop out sections?

Has the workflow changed - wonky v insides etc?
Old 9th March 2017
Special Guest

all of the above, sometimes I have an end in mind, could be a sound set or an idea of mood. but sometimes you just go at a jam , maybe trying some technical idea out . I always record every thing just incase . but ofter nowadays i get a rough arraignment , then jam the synths over this so i have a bit of discipline and a shape to follow , but always leave room to expand on an interesting thing that may get thrown up.

I think things change all the time ,but its more of a building on top of old work flows and technics rather than total change. my current work philosophy is to work fast , don't over think it , don't think about the end , just get there!
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
all of the above, sometimes I have an end in mind, could be a sound set or an idea of mood. but sometimes you just go at a jam , maybe trying some technical idea out . I always record every thing just incase . but ofter nowadays i get a rough arraignment , then jam the synths over this so i have a bit of discipline and a shape to follow , but always leave room to expand on an interesting thing that may get thrown up.

I think things change all the time ,but its more of a building on top of old work flows and technics rather than total change. my current work philosophy is to work fast , don't over think it , don't think about the end , just get there!

Hi Paul, an honour to have any kind of connection with your good self. Do you or have you ever worked like visual artists in a class will by saying ok, this is to be done in 2 hours or whatever limit. It's probably a discipline I should be forcing on myself.
Old 11th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelevin View Post
Hi Paul, an honour to have any kind of connection with your good self. Do you or have you ever worked like visual artists in a class will by saying ok, this is to be done in 2 hours or whatever limit. It's probably a discipline I should be forcing on myself.
yes quite often, i will set myself a limit of , 'by lunchtime i will have got so far' or i must have a rough arraignment done by home time at 5 . I work from 8:30 to 5 , 5 days a week pretty solidly. I find that helps too as you always have the 5 o'clock deadline to get to a good place for the next day.

my favourite one is always on a Friday afternoon , i try to make a weekend recording of what ever I'm doing so i can listen to it with a beer when i get home on that night. it always sounds different somehow.
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Addict

Thanks Paul. Genuinely very helpful.
Old 12th March 2017
Here for the gear

I loved the map you came up with making Wonky and 8:58. Is this a recent addition to the recording process, or something you've always done?

Also interested to know how it relates to the end product... Is it a visual representation of the journey you'd like the album to take before you've written a single note, or do the peaks, troughs and wavy bits refer to specific tracks you've already demoed by the time you get round to tackling it as a body of work?
Old 15th March 2017
Special Guest

It's both actually , it can be a representation of expiation songs or arraignment ideas for demos or just an idea that needs to be made to fit the shape because that's what the album needs at that point . In theory anyway.

It's a way of visualising the ideas to create a good body of work. I do it for tracks , film cues , whole albums. Looking at sound in a abstract and different form just makes you think about it in a different way . Big picture stuff. I have one for the recent arraignment of Kinetic that I was going to post for you here but I couldn't find it . I'll post it if I come across it for sure.

I need to do one again soon for all the new stuff I have . See what form it takes . I think it's in 3 groups at the moment. So I want to see if that's 3 eps or an album in 3 parts or , indeed if a part of it doesn't fit this time round. This is why I do it!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search