The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Music and technology
Old 3rd March 2017
Deleted c1b33bf
Music and technology

From the 1990's onward, Orbital has been considered an innovator and leader in the electronic music world.

At that time (17 years ago) how did you see technology and culture influencing your productions and the way you create and compose music today?

Where do you see things 20 years from today?

Could it be a dark & dystopian place, or something softer like "A Brave New World" where everyone makes music of their dreams through a wireless, all-empowering cloud, or something else altogether?
Old 9th March 2017
Special Guest

the past:-
Around 2000 , 17 years ago , i thought physical modelling would be bigger, i didn’t see the return of analog becoming as big as it has and i didn’t predict the effect of streaming on record sales. I always hoped for in the box solutions to composing on the fly .

as for the future.
Ha! My least favourite question , because I have no real answer. We’ll just have to wait and see.

I hope we will find a way for artists to get paid properly from streaming, which is the present/future of musical listening. we just need to iron out a few wrinkles.

But i do hope we will move away from the culture of thinking that music could be an interactive ( compositionally ) kind of thing . Personally i like to be lead by my favourite artists , i want them to dictate and put their ideas onto me . i don’t want to influence that process , I’m there to listen to them. I think we will go through a period of ‘interactiveness’ that people will then realise becomes a compromise and bland experience .

does that make sense? please feel free to ask more on this if not.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
But i do hope we will move away from the culture of thinking that music could be an interactive ( compositionally ) kind of thing . Personally i like to be lead by my favourite artists , i want them to dictate and put their ideas onto me . i don’t want to influence that process , I’m there to listen to them. I think we will go through a period of ‘interactiveness’ that people will then realise becomes a compromise and bland experience .

Hi Paul , It such a honor to have you here, its just so awesome to hear your thoughts - most especially about the direction of electronic music and the current state of affairs with streaming and revenue.

If you have a moment would you mind explaining what you mean by compositional interactivity? That totally went over my head.

Thank you for your time!
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
the past:-
Around 2000 , 17 years ago , i thought physical modelling would be bigger, i didn’t see the return of analog becoming as big as it has and i didn’t predict the effect of streaming on record sales. I always hoped for in the box solutions to composing on the fly .

as for the future.
Ha! My least favourite question , because I have no real answer. We’ll just have to wait and see.

I hope we will find a way for artists to get paid properly from streaming, which is the present/future of musical listening. we just need to iron out a few wrinkles.

Are you referring to the microtrend of releasing an "album" as a generative app to be downloaded like Eno's Reflections? Or just all similar "interactive" media.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

I get what you are saying about being lead by a visionary artist whose ideas are miles ahead and different from group think... Versus a bunch of no talent democratic "everyone gets a prize for participating" people contributing to a project.
Old 10th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Hi Paul , It such a honor to have you here, its just so awesome to hear your thoughts - most especially about the direction of electronic music and the current state of affairs with streaming and revenue.

If you have a moment would you mind explaining what you mean by compositional interactivity? That totally went over my head.

Thank you for your time!
Im not surprised it went over your head, it doesn't really make sense! sorry my bad , i was a bit spacy yesterday , i have some kind of man flu.

I think what I'm really thinking hasn't happen yet ( you did ask about the future ) its more common in visual media. the idea of VR films where you look where you want rather than the nicely framed picture the director and DOP chose for you , turning the phones of an audience in to a light show by downloading an app before the show. that's the kind of thing I'm thinking about. its a sort of , 'if you can interact with the medium it must be better ' attitude .
i suppose i was thinking about a gig that i heard about where you could influence the music coming from stage by choosing options on your phone. personally I wouldn't want to see the whole audience looking at their phones during a gig, its bad enough already with the self culture. I think people will experiment with this a bit more though, but creativity through commits usually ends up quite bland. its like the compromises in a band to keep all members happy , you ofter end up with something no one in the band likes that much.
Old 10th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Are you referring to the microtrend of releasing an "album" as a generative app to be downloaded like Eno's Reflections? Or just all similar "interactive" media.
no not at all , haven't heard of that. Generative is something different . I'll check it out though.
Old 10th March 2017
Deleted c1b33bf
Quote:

That makes perfect sense. Thank you Paul.

I did mean to say artists rather then "everyone." It was just a poor choice of words on my part.

It would be a strange place if everyone thought of themselves as an artist or musician due to advancements in technology.
This type of the thing has already started to happen in the photography world where people who have put almost no effort and time into the craft will refer to themselves as photographers.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search