The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drums on The Girl With the Sun in Her Head
Old 2nd March 2017
Here for the gear

Drums on The Girl With the Sun in Her Head

Thanks for the Q&A, guys! I have seen you several times over the years here in Atlanta and it's always amazing.

The Girl with the Sun in Her Head is my favorite track, maybe of all time. In fact, I have asked my wife to have it played at my funeral (not soon, I hope).

I particularly love the drums on that track and am wondering how you got them to feel so organic? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 6th March 2017
Here for the gear

@ AtlantaSynthGuy I feel similarly about this track, although no specific funeral plans Good choice anyway. I hope that's a distant event for you.
Old 6th March 2017
Special Guest

Hi guys, so morbid! But curiously as you may or may not know it is a song dedicated to a friend that died while writing it . That is why it has the sad meloncoly intro...

Enough of that though, back to the drums.

When we started writing the insides album we did a drum session in strongroom studios 1 with a good friend and drummer called cloon. We had a day and got various straight and weird mike placements . some multi tracking too as we had just got a budget pro tools 8 track system that we ran from logic. I think a lot of the organic element can from not knowing how to mix drums properly. We had no compressors and basically just balanced them on a desk with bit of eq and made breaks from them. Pretty much all the real drum sounds on insides were made like this. The resonant ones on the box were recorded through a didgeridoo . For the girl , there are two diferent Mike set ups on two different drum set ups . So you get the mix of the ones that come in at first which are more open and sharp mixed with a denser sounding kit later in the track, if that makes sense.
Old 6th March 2017
Special Guest

I think a good tip for organic sounding drums in general is to sample the real world. Doesn't have to be drums , anything percussive from a glass to footsteps or people playing sport . Mix sounds and short time corrected riffs ( abelton is fantastic at this) with some basic regular drum sounds and it starts to sound really organic and original.
Old 7th March 2017
Here for the gear

Paul-- Thanks very much for the tips. I did not know that The Girl was written for a departed friend. Can you share more about that story?

Also, another question related to drums: How often did Orbital use live drummers as opposed to programmed drums? I guess I always thought the drums in The Girl were programmed.

Thanks again!!
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Paul, I'm a big fan
Regarding this track, which is one of my favourite, too, I remember reading on the leaflet that it was recorded using solar power. How did you come up with that idea and was it a technical challenge?
Thank you!
Old 14th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSynthGuy View Post
Paul-- Thanks very much for the tips. I did not know that The Girl was written for a departed friend. Can you share more about that story?

Also, another question related to drums: How often did Orbital use live drummers as opposed to programmed drums? I guess I always thought the drums in The Girl were programmed.

Thanks again!!
its more a case of making our own break beats , we used to do rum sessions and ten make loops and trigger them in syncopated ways, speed them up , that sort of thing. the girl drums are quite mangled from the original playing pattern simply by retrieving 3 different breaks from the same session.

we did this on insides, the middle of know where and ive done it on the ideal condition and a bit on 8:58. got a lot of new drums in the bag for the next release too...

got to go out now , i'll get back to you about our friend , Sally Harding , rising star of techno photographers.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search