The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Xpander vs. Jupiter-6 usage and examples?
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Xpander vs. Jupiter-6 usage and examples?

Hi Phil and Paul, thank you so much for taking the time to answer some questions (lifelong fan here, ever since the Guardian Orbital sampler CD showed up with the paper!)

I've long wondered what your approach has been in terms of using the Xpander and Jup-6. I understand you got the Jupiter first, but whereas I can usually pick out twangy Jup-6 sounds in your tracks, I rarely can ID the Xpander (the intro to Dwr Budr being one exception). You don't seem to use a lot of the weirder xpander filters either, or the very distinct highpass/bandpass filters on the Jup-6, so it makes it harder to pinpoint either--which maybe is a good thing!

Could you discuss your approach to using sounds on one machine versus the other, and maybe point out some xpander usage in a song? Cheers!

Last edited by Sir Ruff; 4th March 2017 at 07:55 PM..
Old 4th March 2017
Special Guest

I tend not tho use the xpander much nowadays, silly really as its a fantastic instrument . I did use the odd filters on it , especially the phase ones, it may not be that obvious though. i got it at the time of snivilisation so its all over that album.

most synths on , crash and carry, science friction , philosophy by numbers and attached are the xpander. also detached and the drones that start petrol .

never really had much use for the band pass or hi pass on the jupiter 6 , it was all about the bass back then!

i think the xpander for me was more about glistening harmony , pushing the resonance on some of those mad filters where as the jupiter was more beefy and solid.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Very interesting, thanks!

Did the Andromeda take over duty for either the xpander/jupiter-6 once you got it? I seem to recall seeing the Andromeda as a pretty regular part of your live rig in more recent years.
Old 12th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
Very interesting, thanks!

Did the Andromeda take over duty for either the xpander/jupiter-6 once you got it? I seem to recall seeing the Andromeda as a pretty regular part of your live rig in more recent years.
not really , we took the jupiter 6 on tour with two andromeda's! greedy i know. the xpander is so unique , anything we needed that on we make a sample loop , unless it was a part that i wanted to modulate live.

the Andromeda's tend to cover all Roland SH parts and basic synth strings, stabs and pads. Also new parts were made for different live versions of songs.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search