The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kinetic 2017 vs. 1992
Old 2nd March 2017
Kinetic 2017 vs. 1992

Hi Paul and Phil, I want to ask you, about the 2017 rework of the classic "Kinetic". I used to dance my feet to a bloody pulp every single time on that song.

Could you tell something about the production on both the 1992 Orbital mix of that song, and what you did on the 2017 version? What instruments did you use, back then, and now, and why? How did you do the vocal/choir part on the rework? And what were the overall creative decisions you made when you recorded the 2017 version?

Thanks for doing this, guys.

Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'd love to hear more about this myself. The original is an amazing classic and the rework is fine as well. Were the lyrics on the original sampled from somewhere or were they recorded for the song?
Old 8th March 2017
Deleted 46dc28f
I'm curious about the shot of the primary-fixing Democrats in the new video. What was the motivation behind it?
Old 8th March 2017
Deleted 8456dd3
Bump!
Id like to know what the main melody is on the original, im guessing a sample
Old 9th March 2017
Special Guest

Hi Reptil and Perplexo.

First , thanks Reptil for setting this all up , sorry if its taking me too long to answer. I've hit a busy patch, with a couple of small performances i had to do.

so , where to begin with this...

back in 91 , we did a remix for a friend of ours for Kinetic. he went by the name of the pied piper. R and S liked it so much they licked the remix only . our friend Mike suggested we form a one off group and the golden girls were born. R and S then got the fantastic Frank Dewulf remix done of our remix.

So for our original mix , we did it with our green album set up .

cheep 16 channel mixer
emax 2
sr 16 or R8
sh 09
quadraverb ( resonator on the snare )

and thats about it. no compression , possibly a little budget reverb unit and a boss delay.

As far as production choices go we would have used every thing we had and then arranged it when we ran out of equipment, that was basically the cap on composition back then, run out of stuff to make sounds? track finished!

We would have been sequencing at that point on an atari st (1meg ) with clab creator.

As for now, We decided to put Kinetic in the new live set , so we got the parts out , and wanted to base it more on the Frank Dewulf mix , which to my mind is by far the danciest version. we got in touch with Frank to ask him where he got the vocal that he put in to his mix “free your soul” that one. he couldn’t remember! He thought it might have come from a sample cd from the early 90’s.

as we went on we didn’t bother trying to find it as we went off on our own a bit. we got the choir sound for our mix by getting a small section of Lisa Bilson’s vocal from the Frenetic version we did in the early 00’s and granulising and time stretching it to make a texture that changes over time.

we kept the drums simple with playing live in mind. We played with the bass line first , starting with a hi energy one, like Frank, then stripped it out making it more funky and syncopated. we used the prophet 6 for the fatter sound then added the lower more percussive bass to help out with the definition of the rhythm . we did that on Massive but with the idea of passing it out to something else later. but as quite often happens with me and Massive I ended up leaving it alone because it worked so well.

unlike the original mix there is a fair amount of compression and a bit of side chaining on the vocal just to keep it pumping.

we need up like it so much we decided to open the set with it and put it out as a little taste of things to come.
Old 9th March 2017
thank you for the detailed answer! looking forward to more.
Old 9th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Bump!
Id like to know what the main melody is on the original, im guessing a sample
do you mean the main chord stab? if so then yes it is a sample , its of a jazzy/stringy film score but I'm not going to tell you which one!
Old 9th March 2017
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
I'm curious about the shot of the primary-fixing Democrats in the new video. What was the motivation behind it?

The video was made using the orbital live visuals to go along with the live vibe of the track, that particular bit is from Satan live, put together years ago , i had no idea that's who they were! so I guess no real current , world comment. don't get me started on current affairs though, totaly ashamed of the way Britain is conducting itself at the moment
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search