The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Q+A with Mike Shipley

Options
Views: 7,025
24th November 2017
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

Well , I'm going to be away for the rest of the month and won't be able to answer any more posts 'till after the first week of...

Mike Shipley
replies: 23 views: 35,012
djui5 1st July 2004

One of my favorite bands! Their records sound great to me to this day. diddlydoo

enharmonic
replies: 16 views: 18,952
Froombosch 29th June 2004

1. what do you like to use to get those great tones/colors down on tape. which amps ? 2. what would you say is a cheap approach...

manning1
replies: 21 views: 24,874
Ted Nightshade 29th June 2004

Mike, could you give any details on the Steel Guitars recorded on 'Come On Over'. Specifically 'That Dont Impress me much'. The...

Shan
replies: 3 views: 11,769
Dave Martin 28th June 2004

Mike, can you go into a bit of detail.. Were these amps or PODs (or insert other modules) Alot of layers? Thx, Cheers!

Joe Jacob
replies: 5 views: 14,493
Jose Mrochek 18th June 2004

Mike (and others who would like to contribute with your methods and ideas on this subject), One thing that I have tried to...

Shan
replies: 46 views: 32,618
studjo 17th June 2004

OK so we pretty much got a digital standard for recording thesedays, for better or worse PT. (please no flaming here on the...

Wiggy Neve Slut
replies: 15 views: 9,979
7rojo7 16th June 2004

Mike, you mentioned your new label on another thread - would you talk a bit about the reasons for starting it and the plans that...

Dave Martin
replies: 6 views: 11,349
1nation 16th June 2004

Hey, Mike! Do you still work on tracking sessions, or does mixing take all of your time these days?

Dave Martin
replies: 5 views: 13,766
skip bitmin 13th June 2004

Hi Mike, I love all the Background Vocals work on every Mutt's production. Can you Share some BV secrets with us? I mean,...

delcosmos
replies: 4 views: 15,481
delcosmos 13th June 2004

Mike, I was wondering and you would be the best to ask. With the experience you had working with different producers, do you...

Jose Mrochek
replies: 3 views: 12,102
Jose Mrochek 13th June 2004

Fantastic mix Mike! First of all, what was your thoughts when you first heard the material? He is somewhat unorthodox in his...

Joe Jacob
replies: 5 views: 12,798
Mike Shipley 13th June 2004

Mike, Care to share anything about working with Paul Franklin on the "Up" record? Besides being one of the finest...

slantbar
replies: 2 views: 11,173
Mike Shipley 11th June 2004

Thanks Mike! Great forum! Great job! kfhkh Jules Gearslutz.com admin

Jules
replies: 12 views: 9,558
Tim L 11th June 2004

Hi Mike.. Was wondering if Mutt is a real gear slut like the most of us or relies on your sound judgement for gear? I saw in...

Wiggy Neve Slut
replies: 16 views: 17,583
djui5 11th June 2004

i need an unbiased opinion mic , as i go through this constant debate with friends on how much equipment one needs to produce a...

manning1
replies: 16 views: 13,722
Sugarnutz 11th June 2004

I hit one of those, how come I know so much, but suddenly don't know where to start periods recently. I think its because my...

GRiFF
replies: 42 views: 69,872
GRiFF 11th June 2004

Did you remix any of the songs from the first cars album? If so, how was it pulling up those tracks from back then? Any...

juniorhifikit
replies: 20 views: 15,228
Mike Shipley 11th June 2004

Hi Mike, Thanks for your time.Do you use plugin compressors?If so which ones? Thanks again, Chris

chrisaiken
replies: 20 views: 18,137
Dave Martin 10th June 2004

Hi All, Since we had the "reverbs on drums" thread, I was wondering what kind of reverb, if any, you guys use on...

DirkB
replies: 7 views: 18,736
Ruudman 10th June 2004

Hi Mike,kfhkh What is your approach with HEDD 192? How and where do you use it when recording ? When mixing do you set the...

Yiannis
replies: 17 views: 14,758
jbuntz 10th June 2004

Mutt Lange

Mike-what (in your opinion) is it about this guy that makes literally evrything he touches turn to Gold (or Platinum)? Is it...

d audio
replies: 31 views: 40,228
sismundi 9th June 2004

You mentioned mixing a new tune for them in another thread....any details you can share? I would asume Sammy is singin on this...

Ckevperry
replies: 23 views: 13,024
flexoffset 8th June 2004

Hi Mike, Thanks for taking the time to answer questions - most appreciated :) In your '99 mix interview you said: I...

TLS
replies: 5 views: 15,558
Midlandmorgan 7th June 2004

Hey everyone -- I've just recently got into the whole mixing process for vocals, ( right now its mainly hip hop ) i usually...

DjRio
replies: 6 views: 32,709
nd33 7th June 2004

Let's talk about how you do these things in the box: 1. Delay compensation - are you a stickler, or do you apply only where...

jho
replies: 5 views: 13,235
jho 7th June 2004

My favorite track on the Kelly Clarkson album is Beautiful Disaster (I love good pop music). I also enjoy your mix very...

Phil Buckle
replies: 9 views: 10,094
lefthando 7th June 2004

OK, I've been struggling with this one for a while now. I'm primarily working on heavy rock (not death metal) and I'm looking to...

xyz
replies: 14 views: 17,337
Hobbyist 7th June 2004

Mike, you mentioned this box in another thread - which one are you talking about? The mono box or ther stereo box?

Dave Martin
replies: 24 views: 17,722
preben 7th June 2004

Hi Mike!! I admire you work right now listening to Shania's latest three albums. I read threads about your MITB and I wonder...

bopsi
replies: 9 views: 13,396
Mike Shipley 6th June 2004

Mike, Would you mind sharing your own Pro Toos studio´s gear list / favorite plugs / outboard / reverbs... We all are G E A...

Shaman
replies: 10 views: 15,120
juniorhifikit 6th June 2004

Mike, Just wondering what you print your mix too. After your 2 out from the Hedd where do you go? Going back to PT would be...

Phil Buckle
replies: 4 views: 10,564
Jules 6th June 2004

Mike, Curious as to what boxes or plugs you use and prefer for pitch shifting, reverb, and delays, maybe directed at...

doug_hti
replies: 6 views: 13,681
thethrillfactor 6th June 2004

Hi Mike, Firstly, congratulations on the success of your forum, bet you didn't realise what you'd let yourself in for? heh...

RichT
replies: 11 views: 12,521
Mario-C. 5th June 2004

Mike, I was just reading over your posts (which have been invaluable thus far, cheers!), and thought of something interesting......

jpaudio
replies: 6 views: 9,462
Faderjockey 5th June 2004

Mike, Thank you so much for spending your time and wisdom with us. I'm having a hard time working because I'm having too...

hoop
replies: 14 views: 13,777
Mike Shipley 5th June 2004

Hi Mike... As a much respected mixer i was wondering if you were able to share some thoughts on how the 'home revolution' has...

Wiggy Neve Slut
replies: 39 views: 19,531
Mike Shipley 5th June 2004

So how was that gig? I was wondering if that may have been a MIB for you. It didn't seem to have the low end you normally do so...

Faderjockey
replies: 9 views: 9,263
theom 5th June 2004

Mike, I am so amazed by all the hits you have mixed this question came to mind. I write songs, currently recording my first album...

Jose Mrochek
replies: 2 views: 10,312
Mike Shipley 4th June 2004
replies: 10 views: 8,973
jpaudio 4th June 2004

Ok I'm tryin' to get a mix finished between today and tomorrow and will be a little busy for a couple of days but will answer...

Mike Shipley
replies: 0 views: 8,197

Hello Mike, I have great respect for your work. Thanks again for coming to GS. Here are my first questions. 1) Which...

Mr. Truth
replies: 23 views: 13,139

I hope Jules is gonna be allright with me doing this (I guess I'll find out soon enough if he isn't !!!) but I'm gonna post some...

Mike Shipley
replies: 7 views: 9,361
warhead 3rd June 2004

Hey Mike, thanks for all the awesome info - great stuff indeed! I may have missed this somewhere, but what do print your...

toddro
replies: 1 views: 9,706
Mike Shipley 3rd June 2004

Hi Mike nice to meet you, I have a question about the Just Push Play album, I remember when it was released years ago, there was...

delcosmos
replies: 9 views: 11,659
delcosmos 3rd June 2004

They seem like a love em or hate em band. I think they are some of the best sounding records of their time. Did T Dolby have...

theom
replies: 4 views: 10,911
Brenton 3rd June 2004

Mike it's been a while since the announcement of the AWS900. What are your thoughts today? Thanks

clip6
replies: 1 views: 11,137
Mike Shipley 3rd June 2004

Hi Mike! I am a huge Catherine Wheel fan. Which album did you work on with them? I have always loved their guitar sound, care...

eberrong
replies: 10 views: 12,577
rainsinvelvet 2nd June 2004

I saw a thread like this on PSW, where someone asked GM what his favourite pieces of work were. I would very much like to ask the...

preben
replies: 1 views: 11,094
Mike Shipley 2nd June 2004

Let's pretend for a sec you have been given the option to only keep one of these.... Which one would you chose ???? 1.-...

Jose Mrochek
replies: 5 views: 6,707
AAsa 2nd June 2004

Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search