The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ship, do you have any interesting stories you could share about Queen? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Ship, do you have any interesting stories you could share about Queen?

One of my favorite bands! Their records sound great to me to this day.

Old 18th June 2004
Captain

Well I could tell you about the time I was editing the 24track and totally fu@#ed it up thereby effectively making an unscheduled arrangement change . Of course it was all their fault 'cos they kept asking me to hear it with the piece in..the piece out ...the piece in etc and when they had decided that they wanted it to stay...well by that time I was standing on the piece of tape in question and destroyed it by mistake , but they actually took me seriously when I sheepishly said that it sounded good without it (trying to hide my faux pas)Editing the multi-track was always quite nerve wracking with those guys because of how much was on the tape!!!
Then there was the fun of being on a chair on the drum riser with the band and others doing hanclaps and footstomps for "We will rock you" which was a lot of fun .
Old 18th June 2004
More cowbell!

A friend of mine was a teaboy at Trident many years back, and would tell how amazing it was to watch Freddy track BGV for flying in later. Apparently Freddy had a strong sense of pitch and control, and could do single takes on track after track after track.

--K
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

OMG man!!! Thank goodness the band was so up in the air on the part

We Will Rock You, those stomps and claps are so HUGE. You just don't hear sounds like that on records anymore :(
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
Well I could tell you about the time I was editing the 24track and totally fu@#ed it up thereby effectively making an unscheduled arrangement change . Of course it was all their fault 'cos they kept asking me to hear it with the piece in..the piece out ...the piece in etc and when they had decided that they wanted it to stay...well by that time I was standing on the piece of tape in question and destroyed it by mistake , but they actually took me seriously when I sheepishly said that it sounded good without it (trying to hide my faux pas)Editing the multi-track was always quite nerve wracking with those guys because of how much was on the tape!!!
You're a brave man Mike Shipley!

Quote:
Then there was the fun of being on a chair on the drum riser with the band and others doing hanclaps and footstomps for "We will rock you" which was a lot of fun .

COOL!

"News of the World" is my favorite Queen record.
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Guru
Quote:

Hey- waitaminnit! Give us more! Those claps and stomps are one of of most instantly recognizable sounds in the history of recording. How was it done? Were there mics under the riser? How many passes? How do they sound so HUGE?
Old 18th June 2004
Gear addict

Quote:

So when that comes on at sporting events, do you still nudge the guy next to you and say "that's me."heh
Old 18th June 2004
Gear interested

MR. Shipshape- Sitting in with Queen to do the boom-boom-bap! is the coolest thing I've ever heard of. You could have stopped right there. You could have gone into call center customer relations or pool cleaning, after that, knowing you had nowhere to go in the world of cool. How many times have you seen someone bang on a bar or desk that beat? You could walk over, smile pleasantly and say, "actually, we did it like... this! Boom-boom-bap! Boom-boom-bap!"
Unfrickin' believeable...

So you went on to do some other stuff, I guess.
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

The 'We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" was the first 45RPM record I ever bought. . . actually my parents bought it for me.

The guitar solo on We Will Rock You has captivated me for years by it's simplicity, yet I'm always amazed at how every note hits home.

Question:
Did Brian May play this solo 'off the cuff' or was it mulled over and tweaked for hours?
Did he nail it on the first take?
How many changes did he make to it?
Were any parts of it punched in?
Did you get to see him track that solo?
Any details of that event would be very interesting to me.

many thanks
Richard
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you went on to do some other stuff, I guess.
errrrrr..... yeah you could say that...

Quote:
The guitar solo on We Will Rock You has captivated me for years by it's simplicity, yet I'm always amazed at how every note hits home.

I feel the exact same way. I was 10 or so when I heard it and it hit me then. When you play something so right that a kid can get you have done something special.....

Quote:
Well I could tell you about the time I was editing the 24track and totally fu@#ed it up thereby effectively making an unscheduled arrangement change
Mike what song??

Quote:
There has got to be more to this story right?? heh Anything else you can add?? Double tracked, triple?? Mics (or mic)?? I love this sh*t!!!

Thanks Mike....
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by natpub
Apparently Freddy had a strong sense of pitch and control, and could do single takes on track after track after track.
Mercury was the best male rock vocalist that ever lived, past & present IMO. He made it seem easy, but if you've ever tried to perform Queen music you quickly realize that his range was unreal, and his arrangements bloody difficult as hell. When they had the tribute concert for him, the only guy who could barely sing his material was George Michael, and that was a still a joke compared to Mercury's pipes.
Old 18th June 2004
Gear interested

I was curious about the "We Will Rock You" solo myself. I often wonder what happened at the beginning of the solo because it almost sounds like Brian May played it out of time or was unsure of what he wanted to play. After a few beats go by he finally locks into the groove. It's a cool solo, but I always thought it sounded a little weird at the beginning. Maybe it was comped???
Old 18th June 2004
Gear maniac

More Queen stories!!!! Very cool!
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinS
I was curious about the "We Will Rock You" solo myself. I often wonder what happened at the beginning of the solo because it almost sounds like Brian May played it out of time or was unsure of what he wanted to play. After a few beats go by he finally locks into the groove. It's a cool solo, but I always thought it sounded a little weird at the beginning. Maybe it was comped???
In my head, I always liked to picture Brian getting down with the *stomp stomp clap* and then realizing "Oh ****...I've got a solo!"...then running over, picking up the Red Special, and ripping one out while everyone kept the *stomp stomp clap* going heh

It also sounds to me like he starts out in the pocket, and then moves on top of the beat...not so much off time as moving it around...but what do I know? I'm a ham-fisted rhythm guitarist
Old 25th June 2004
Gear Maniac

*BUMP*

We're still waiting.....
Old 29th June 2004
Captain

Brian would be pretty much first to the studio and would sit down in front of his 10 or so AC30"s and play thru them all for a while to see which one sounded best that day , and it was rarely the same amp as the day before.
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

LOL! I thought I had some strange clients in my little studio ;-)

Harrie
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search