The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Archiving for the future?
Old 10th June 2004
Lives for gear

Archiving for the future?

OK so we pretty much got a digital standard for recording thesedays, for better or worse PT. (please no flaming here on the merits of PT.. thats been done to death)

But there is not real definitive digital archival format that will work progressively with each generation of new HW/SW, let alone a medium that will survive the test of time. I mean look @ CDR's, hardrives etc they are allready showing problems after a few years. So are people happy archiving thier works on whate ver they feel is good enough or is it time to try to create some kind of international archival standard/fromat and or medium so that the generations of digital to come will be working properly without errors/glitches etc etc

I mean for all its inherent problems and weaknesses with tape, its a relatively stable format that **** IF STORED WELL AND CORRECTLY***** is good for 10 years with no trouble and more. Sure it may need a bit of a betty crocker in the over but more often than not they are still useable.. even if its only for a few passes, which is more than a screwed digital format.

What are people here doing for archival purposes?

Please discuss
Wiggy
Old 10th June 2004
Captain

That's a very good question Wiggy , there's been a lot of talk about it. I was approached by a major audio manufacturer recently about the idea of having a central database like a virtual bank or whatever that supposedly is completely secure where every label would store and access all their masters from....a wild idea but they are dead serious. As for right know it's such a hodge podge , even trying to get the right tapes for a session can be hit and miss !!!!
Old 10th June 2004
Lives for gear

I think this is a vital issue that needs to be sourced and looked into seriously.

On a local note Mike.. i heard that Sony have a dedicated faciltiy up in Sydney that has special vault especially for storing masters that is ontrolled to the 'enth degree electronically for temp/light/humidity etc etc etc.. Its good to see a label taking proactive steps in storing masters..

Can any Syndey slutz verify this or was it AE heresay?

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 10th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
... As for right know it's such a hodge podge , even trying to get the right tapes for a session can be hit and miss !!!!
I went to a mastering session last year where the label, who had been holding the master tapes, sent all but reel1 of the mixes. Reel 1 contained the tones and the master mix! We ended up mastering off the stems from my ProTools rig.

I always make my own archives on DVD.
Old 10th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
That's a very good question Wiggy , there's been a lot of talk about it. I was approached by a major audio manufacturer recently about the idea of having a central database like a virtual bank or whatever that supposedly is completely secure where every label would store and access all their masters from....a wild idea but they are dead serious. As for right know it's such a hodge podge , even trying to get the right tapes for a session can be hit and miss !!!!

That's genius.....and could be incredible if implemented properly. They can secure the backbone of the internet...I think they can secure this....
Old 16th June 2004
Gear Addict

Re: Archiving for the future?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
OK so we pretty much got a digital standard for recording thesedays, for better or worse PT...
But there is not real definitive digital archival format that will work progressively with each generation of new HW/SW, let alone a medium that will survive the test of time.

Good point. What is really required is an "anything to anything" archive management programme...something along the lines (but in reverse) of AV Media's AV Transfer package: Anything in(video)...OMF,AES31,Vegas, Discrete Edit etc to anything out(audio)...PT,Fairlight,AMS,Paris,OMF etc...start work.
It would be brilliant if someone could bring this backup translator concept to market. Those who've changed platforms would find this invaluable, as we all live and die by our backups, and the years of previous work would still be available to the end-user for updates/remixes etc.

The sticking point will invariably be Digi, who have always declined to release their code to other manufacturers in the DAW market...so export to PT is sometimes problematic for all non-PT users...likewise import from PT. This usually happens after a Digi software update...Bastards!

Media issues still need to be resolved, but we are getting closer...

Cheers,
Tim
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search