The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beautiful Disaster Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th June 2004
Gear maniac

Beautiful Disaster

My favorite track on the Kelly Clarkson album is Beautiful Disaster (I love good pop music).
I also enjoy your mix very much.
The BV's are so up front. Was that one of the production values or was that a decision you made?
It's a good example of that "breathy" effect.
I also notice that you mixed it at The Record Plant in LA. So was that mix SSL or ITB?
Thanks for your time.
Phil Buckle.
Old 6th June 2004
Lives for gear

Wow!!! that is a good song name!!
Old 6th June 2004
Captain

That was mixed at studio 3 at the Record Plant. I love that room. Its a 9k room with one of the better sounding 9k's. It was a Protools session and I don't remember much about it as it was a one day thing a while ago now , but I'm sure I went for whatever seemed right at the time.
One thing that I think about sometimes , is how different a mix would be if it was done on a different day , silly maybe , but there are times when after spending the time doing a mix and thinking it's ok , and hearing it later and wondering what planet you were on when you did the mix !!!
That's the beauty of recall these days.
Old 6th June 2004
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape

One thing that I think about sometimes , is how different a mix would be if it was done on a different day , silly maybe , but there are times when after spending the time doing a mix and thinking it's ok , and hearing it later and wondering what planet you were on when you did the mix !!!
Now THAT's something worth thinking about - and something that most folks don't talk about much. I know that whenever I mix something, the result is usually 'the best I can do today'. The next day might well be totally diferent.
Old 6th June 2004
Lives for gear

Agree 100%

This happens in all the music stages. And I like to call it the "vibe". Sometimes things come out with no effort and everyone is happy, and sometimes you could be days on something with no satisfaction at all. My question to you guys is... what do you do when you get stuck! ? ? Just leave it there and wait for a good night sleep ?? Thanks
Old 6th June 2004
Gear Guru

I think a mix is like a performance. Some days are just better than others. The real skill is to have your personal bad days still sound good to others...
Old 7th June 2004
Gear nut

I think ProTools and ITB mixing make it to where you don't have to be perfect everyday - mixing on consoles was always having to be 100% everyday or face an expensive and time-consuming re-call if you "missed it" or hated it 2 days later. It's tough for anyone to 100% day in and day out, but maybe that's what seperates the men from the boys !!!
Old 7th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Now THAT's something worth thinking about - and something that most folks don't talk about much. I know that whenever I mix something, the result is usually 'the best I can do today'. The next day might well be totally diferent.
Personally, once I've given my all on that day, I find it very hard to go back to a track and make significant changes in direction or balance. If it's the following day, I can make small adjustments to the mix, no probs but for something more extreme like taking the track in the opposite direction, I feel I need time in between before I can approach it again. Maybe go and work another track for a while and then come back with fresh ears.
Old 7th June 2004
Gear maniac

Recall is great when I want to come back for a few levels changes. And Pro Tools helps me mix as if I had unlimited pairs of hand. However, in the past if I was not happy with a mix, you could guarantee the next try would be totally different. Now with recall you are tempted to take too much from the bad mix!
Old 7th June 2004
Gear addict

I think that's one reason why many of us hate recalls: It FEELS different the next day. Espescially if you liked your original mix.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search