The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Thanks for doing Septembers guest moderation forum Michael! !!
Old 8th September 2005
Lives for gear

I love this place!

Welcome Michael.

Thanks Jules!!
Old 8th September 2005
Lives for gear

This will be great~

Old 8th September 2005
Lives for gear

Sweet!
Old 8th September 2005
Lives for gear

thank you and welcome
Old 9th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 9th September 2005
Lives for gear

Wow, just when you think this place can't get any better, someone pulls out a trump card. Nice!
Old 9th September 2005
Gear Nut

Michael, you are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Also, thanks Jules for making this happen.
Old 9th September 2005
Gear Addict

What can I say? This is just great!

Thanks Michael and Jules!
Old 9th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

Hi Everyone,

I was really touched reading all the welcome notes. Thanks. I'll do my best to do you guys justice. I also see some old friends from years past are here and some that i've been corresponding with from my own site.

I want to thank Jules for inviting me to your forum. He’s a good guy. I wasn’t sure I could dedicate the time to a whole month of Q&A but I really wanted to do it so he worked out a plan to make it easy for me. I think attending the Tape Op convention a couple years ago hooked me. It was so cool. I wish I could have gone to this year’s convention but I had other commitments. I’ll try again for next year. Hopefully, we can have it again in New Orleans. Those people have it rough right now but the French Quarter survived the main hit and I’m sure they’d welcome a few hundred gear heads for a few days.

This place is serious! I feel like it’s ok to be addicted to toys.

I have a month to share with you my experience of almost 30 years of surviving this business. Let’s keep it fun. Jules is going to help me weed through the questions so that I can just sit down between mixes and answer the best questions.

I love to mix. I tried producing and producing/engineering/mixing and a few other combinations but mixing is the one I enjoy most so that’s pretty much want I want to talk about. Although, having said that, I think we should also discuss management, communications skills with artist and record company, assistant training. They are all related to the success of a good mix. Jules is probably going to have a coronary organizing all those questions but, hay, I’m the one that has to answer them.

On many levels I was a slow learner so I can relate to many of you that are struggling on certain concepts. So for some of you, my answers may sound too simple.

Perfect I’m not. I’ve had my period of thinking I was as cool as the artist along with the attitude and I paid the price of getting a reputation of being difficult to work with. It took many years to overcome that little blunder.

I had a pretty consistent rise to the top along with being on the all-important “A list” of many A&R people. But I also fell from that spot without a warning and was barely on the “C list” for a good 5 years. That hurt. For a short time I had to consider the reality of quitting because I couldn’t keep up with the bills to take care of my family. You think you feel insecure sometimes? You should have seen me after three years of not being in demand and being told I should drop my sound and listen to what the “hot mixers” are doing. That nightmare is now behind me and I can assure you I don’t take a day of work for granted anymore. Every morning that I come in to mix a song I’m hungry to nail it. And I hope this time around I leave on my own terms.

Achieving your goals is hard and requires a lot of dedication, duh! Maintaining your affluence once you get there is a lot harder. I’ll bet every pro reading this knows how painfully true it is. So, during the next few weeks, maybe I can help some of you avoid the pitfalls or find ways to get ahead by letting you in on some of my dumb ass mistakes. And I’m sure I can help answer the mysteries of how some sounds were created. Let’s see.
Old 9th September 2005
Gear Addict

Hey thanks Micheal, Since I read your article about parallel compression, and your technique, I've applied it to my own mixes, and others and have been getting really good comments on my mixes. It's put me ahead of a few people here in town.

thanx for being here and giving us your time.
Old 9th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
Achieving your goals is hard and requires a lot of dedication, duh! Maintaining your affluence once you get there is a lot harder. I’ll bet every pro reading this knows how painfully true it is. So, during the next few weeks, maybe I can help some of you avoid the pitfalls or find ways to get ahead by letting you in on some of my dumb ass mistakes. And I’m sure I can help answer the mysteries of how some sounds were created. Let’s see.
Wow! Once again this will be a great time this month at Gearslutz. Thanks for doing this for us.

I myself sleep right in my studio. Roll out the futon at night in the studio and fall asleep looking through the glass into the control room. Crazy yes, but whatever it takes is whatever it takes.

Shane
Old 9th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

I'm glad it works for you. Did it take time to adjust your ears to this approach?

BTW, i notice some people calling it parallel buss comp. but really it's multi buss. I know it's minor and i don't really want to get into the differences but multi describes the process better.
Old 9th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looking forward to all your knowledge and wisdom. I myself sleep right in my studio at the moment. I roll out the futon in the studio at night and fall asleep looking through the glass into the control room. heh Crazy yes, but whatever it takes.

Shane
Old 9th September 2005
Lives for gear

weight in gold

Thank you Michael for your presence here and for your openness to share such a vast wealth of knowledge.

This forum has only been up short time and you've already given SO MUCH valuable information to the slutz.

Have been implementing your bussing scheme for compression using what I have, and it's given my mixes new life.

Thanks again!

be well
Old 9th September 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm glad it works for you. Did it take time to adjust your ears to this approach?

BTW, i notice some people calling it parallel buss comp. but really it's multi buss. I know it's minor and i don't really want to get into the differences but multi describes the process better.
actually the material sounded MIXED faster than ever, also i find myself using heeps less eq. things just gel together better. yup multi bus sounded right.
Old 10th September 2005
welcome!! I am new here too!!
Old 10th September 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks Michael for being here sharing your experience!!

I'll try to post a question about multi buss choices....when you cannot multibuss everything, what to choose?

Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

A bit late but I just want to chime in and say that this is GRRRREEEEAAAT...!!!! Welcome to Michael and Thank You to Jules.
Old 10th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

[actually the material sounded MIXED faster than ever, also i find myself using heeps less eq. things just gel together better. yup multi bus sounded right.]

Good, that's what i want to hear. Adapt my ideas to what works for you and drop the ones that don't apply.
Old 10th September 2005
Lives for gear

Welcome to Gearslutz Michael, it's great to have you here
Old 11th September 2005
bap
Gear Nut

I'm a mere fly on the wall around here and appreciate it all.

Artistic integrity matters.

Thanks for helping out, Michael.
Old 11th September 2005
Lives for gear

A late Welcome Michael, I like your mentaly balanced Attitude towards the whole thing.
Old 14th September 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
[actually the material sounded MIXED faster than ever, also i find myself using heeps less eq. things just gel together better. yup multi bus sounded right.]

Good, that's what i want to hear. Adapt my ideas to what works for you and drop the ones that don't apply.
well thanks to the generosity of folks like yourself coming here and showing us that the song is first and gear second. this is an amazing place.

Also congrats on Coldplay and Dream theater's last album. It really shows your versatility as well as the respect you give each artist and song.
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

Another late welcome and sincere thanks for the mindshare Michael! I'm a big fan. And thanks too to Jules!
Old 16th September 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks Michael for all the inside info. I really dig your article on compression in Tape Op #37 and I highly recommend my fellow gearslutz back order an issue. I've yet to try your bussing technique but am looking forward to learning how to put it into practice for my own mixes! Thanks again and all the best to ya!
Ryan (a.k.a cletus)
Old 17th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

Thanks everyone! I can see from all the positive comments from you guys that, as the first week is coming to a close, it's been fun for all of us. The questions you are asking are really good, hard, but good.

There was a good comment from Inner Light regarding the song being first and the gear second. Don't matter how much gear you have if you can't hear the song.

I’m going to try this weekend to go through a few more questions. Next week is going to be insane because it’s one of those “12 mixes in 5 days” sessions so I may not have as much time to give but we’ll see.

Keep up the great questions and I’ll keep trying to answer them. I think by the end of the month, I’ll be pretty much prepared for any interview for the rest of my life. And I’m also pretty sure that no interviewer will compare to the level of questions you guys are coming up with. Nice one!
Old 18th September 2005
Has it just been a week?

Sheesh!

So many cool posts!

Do what ya gotta do man...

We will still be here!

Old 19th September 2005
Gear Head

This has been excellent insight into what mixing is really about..

Even though i'm using computer software mixing and modelled analogue compressors the multi-buss compression works like a dream. my mixes sound nice when they're quiet but really come to life when i turn the volume up, and they're almost loud enough before going to mastering.

thinking about it, it seems so stupid to just send a mix cold through one compressor to bring up the level

i also notice the combination of the different compressors works as a tone control - i cant put my finger on it - its like eq but it isn't :-)

I'll try and think of a hard question worthy of asking, i still cant get over multi-buss!

Thanks for sharing this information.

(now just off to find that dusty old amstrad radio i know i've got somewhere..)
Old 20th September 2005
This has been GREAT!

Like sitting at a bar and firing away with questions but no, yawning or looking at his watch and 'errrr.. actually I gotta go..."

Lucky luck lucky! - Yes we are!

Thanks again Michael!

Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
This has been GREAT!
It certainly has! Thanks so much Jules and Michael for doing this!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search