The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any advice on maintaining a ballanced ego?
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Any advice on maintaining a ballanced ego?

Hey Mike,

Your Coldplay mixes are very inspiring...so radio, yet so vintage-y at the same time.

Have you ever had mixes that were rejected and remixed by someone else? How do you deal with that kind of thing? Any advice on maintaining a ballanced ego?

Thanks
Old 24th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

Thank you, I'm proud of that record.

Yes, rejection happens to us all. It's part of life. It does not happen often, because if it did, I wouldn't be working very much. I'm the guy that's hired to do the remixing so if my mixes don't fly, well..you know the ending.

I know in my heart that when a mix is completed and turned in to the record company, I did the very best job possible. No excuses are exceptable. I didn't get lazy at any point in the process, I didn't cut corners, I didn't leave certain tasks or ideas unfinished. I took it all the way home. If they reject the mix and feel like someone else has a better take on the song, well, that's their right because it's their record. I'm going to sleep ok because I know I did my best. In fact, maybe I'll learn something from it. Maybe my take on it was wrong. Maybe I made it a bit too slick and the original mix just had a raw power that, with all it's faults, still felt better than mine. So next time, maybe I'll pay closer attention to other elements of a song. I don't like making the same mistake twice.

It doesn't really matter if I listen to my mix against the one that was chosen and think wow, my was way better. In fact, I wouldn't waste my time. There are a lot of other reasons why a mix is rejected that has nothing to do with you. There is the real world of politics or name recognition that can help sell a product to a radio station.

Yah it hurts, for minute, that my mix isn't always the best thing since sliced bread but I get over it. I have to because I'm usually in the middle of mixing another one and I don't want it to put a damper on the task at hand.

BTW, That mind set did not come naturally. I've been doing it for a long enough time that I've come to peace with it. Rejection happens, do what you can to learn from it. Turn it around.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search