The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are your Deliverables to the Record Company?
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

What are your Deliverables to the Record Company?

Michael:

Thanks for taking the time to moderate this forum. I've always been curious about what the record company wants as a deliverable for your services? Are you called on just to mix a stereo master... vocal up/vocal down, stems. Does the deliverable change with a band like Coldplay that has a wider appeal (dare I say "pop"?)? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 23rd September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

If I understand you correctly, what other versions does the record company expect to have delivered in addition to the master?

Vocal up, vocal down, TV(no lead vocal), Instrumental and Acapella.

The band, producer or A&R may also want an alternate version. For example; one pass without delays on the vocals in the chorus, or more guitars in the vamp or one with me singing, yah know, stuff like that.

On rock records I tend to do a version with bass up.

There is also a good chance the single will need to be edited down to 3:30, so I include a radio edit.
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer

There is also a good chance the single will need to be edited down to 3:30, so I include a radio edit.
And is that an edit you normally figure out on your own, or do you first consult with the producer and or band as to the best way to edit it down for radio?
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I understand you correctly, what other versions does the record company expect to have delivered in addition to the master?
You answered and understood my question perfectly!

Thanks Michael.
Old 23rd September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

I usually ask the band or record company if they have any specific ideas and if not, I do my own edit.
Old 24th September 2005
Lives for gear
Hey Michael, how are you?

What about that OTHER "deliverable", the entire album delivered to the label in multi-track format?
Any feelings about that?

I find more and more that I make a consolidated, one choice of each track, version that I give to the label on hardrive or DVD as the final "multitrack" of the record.
The point being that I am loathe to have a version floating around with all of the choices we DIDN'T make hiding 'underneath' in playlists or the bin.
I shudder at the idea of some dance mix or remix using that vocal, or guitar solo or whatver, that we rejected but never deleted from disc.
So I tend to want to give them ONLY my final choices.

What do you do?

cheers,
w2
Old 24th September 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Darn, I thought the radio length standard was a lot longer these days. I hear a lot of new songs on the radio more than a minute longer than that. Would I really have to keep 'singles' down to that length? Thanks.
Old 24th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

it's not my place as mixer to decide what on a multi should or should not be delivered. I return the drive exactly as I received it. I have a backup of the song along with my mixes on it that I keep. You can keep it to 3:50, it depends on the radio format. In england they want it more on the 3:30 side than the 4:00
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search