The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hard concepts for a soft world?
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

Hard concepts for a soft world?

Good evening Michael, a real pleasure to have this opportunity. I never thought I would post but after really feeling how we G-slutz enjoy/endure some kind of common experience, even in our vastly different physical and musical realms, it seemed like too good of a chance to pass up. Thanks Michael and thanks the internet for making this possible.

Like many others here I'm a home-based musician/producer/sound obsessive without access to the experience/space/gear/fabulous sonic raw materials you've worked to achieve, but still find your insight very helpful in a practical sense.

1. How far do you think the mixing principles and techniques you describe ie multi-buss compression etc can successfully be applied/transferred to a small project studio ie computer-based with say a UAD-1 card and 1 or 2 each hardware compressors and fx units, or even taken to the extreme let's say 'in the box'?

2. Can you highlight any possible ways ie configuration- or usage-wise you think that the growing number of computer-centric users might better take advantage of their equipment, be it physical or software? Or again would that just be a software emulation of the hardware setups you prefer?

Old 24th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

You bring up a very good question.

The reality is that some of us, like some of my peers I’ve spoken with on the forum over the past couple weeks, are in the minority. We have it good with the latest computers, access to any gear, and the clout to call our own shots. The majority of you are sitting in your own place that you’ve financed and you are slowly building a collection of dream gear. Everyday, many of you work just as hard and just as long on a smaller scale.

One of the reasons you haven’t seen me discussing gear much is because it’s more important that I share concepts of how I formulate the idea. Then it becomes easier to apply the idea to your own surroundings. Why I choose reverb instead of delay or chorus on a vocal is more important than what kind I used.

I think many of the mixing principles and techniques that I’ve shared on this forum can be applied to the small studio environment.

I am in the process of developing a template for Protools. It’s going to take me a little time but when it’s done, you will be able to adapt my ideas to mixing in the box.
Old 24th September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer
I am in the process of developing a template for Protools. It’s going to take me a little time but when it’s done, you will be able to adapt my ideas to mixing in the box.

ThankYou!!

Old 24th September 2005
Quote:
That will be great!!!! thumbsup
Thanks...
Old 24th September 2005
Quote:
That will be great!
Thanks....
Old 24th September 2005
The Pro Tools templates will be very nice!
Thanks....
Old 24th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Michael, guess I knew the answer already really, that a/ it's a matter of interpretation and approach as opposed to specifics and b/ it ain't the size of your stick, it's how you swing it

I can see some studio time here at the bunker being allocated to some radical experimentation in the next few weeks and also look forward to seeing what your PT template can show us in the future.

Cheers!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search