The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drum replacement?
Old 20th September 2005
Gear Addict

Drum replacement?

When do you decide to use drum replacement, if ever?

When the drums sounds just aren't good enough or...

...maybe as a creative decision on your part?

And part 2 of the question. How do you go about it. Complete replacement, subtle enhancement? Drum Replacer? Libraries? Your own private collection?

Thanks Michael. Your responses so far have been a great source of info.
Old 21st September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

I've been using Forat for years. All the sounds i've been compiling and collecting over the years are on a Zip drive that goes in the forat. I rarely replace drum tracks with my samples. Maybe the exception is on a kick that sounds really bad. But generally, I add samples to the existing track. The sounds I pick are based on getting more punch or low end or point to the kick and more snap, tone or top to the snare. I'll probably eventually go to sound replacer but it's going to be a painful process getting all my samples over one at a time onto a hardrive. The forat has it's own format and so I wouldn't be able to just digitally copy them over from the Zip, I'd have to go analog out for each one and then re-title them.

There are songs where I'm changing drum sounds between verse and chorus and then adding larger sounding samples for the final choruses. So you get this sonic change enhancing the different sections.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search