The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drugs in the studio
Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

Drugs in the studio

Hi
In a post here you joke that to mix pink floyd in 5.1 you might find an old joint from years past!!and work out ways to scare yourself!!
Very funny indeed...!!

But there is such a lot of strong weed smoked by Kids in London and I have myself been quit from tobacco and weed these last 5 months.

Did you decide not to smoke dope/weed for professional reasons or because you have seen any conflict between being stoned and
the'cold light of day' ?

Are you happy to have assistants who smoke?
What happens if some artist is a heavy smoker and wants to sit right next to you with a spliff?

I have really enjoyed your contribution to gearslutz...fantastic!!
Bestwishes
Scruffydog
Old 21st September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

I am really glad you asked that question. It’s an important one. I stopped smoking everything when I graduated college and went on the road with my band. I was the drummer and managed the business. In my mind it was a business and I had to be serious about it so there was no room for weed and I quit smoking butts at the same time. I never did drugs in the studio…not that I aaah ever did drugs mind you. That leads to a dead end and I knew it by simply watching those around me abuse it.

What my assistants do on their own time is fine with me as long as it’s limited to weed and alcohol…aah not that they smoke weed mind you. But I did walk into the studio one morning and knew my assistant had just smoked a joint. He had been up all night getting my session finished and was taking the edge off. I explained the importance of him not relying on drugs to make it through the day. Learn to work through the exhaustion with willpower. He got the message.

The control room is my room. In my room, you don’t smoke weed and you don’t smoke cigarettes. The lounge is the client’s room, You can smoke, fart, blow or sleep, I don’t care.

I’ve had “famous” people insist on smoking in the control room and I say "no" in a nice way. I had one person that insisted on smoking just in the doorway and blew the smoke away from the control room. I still got high from it, and I looked at him at one point and said “ok, You just got me high, so here’s the deal, if you see me laughing at you when you make a comment, you can’t get mad. I warned you not to smoke around me so, if what you say sounds funny to me, I’m laughing”. About ten minutes later, he’s sitting next to me and he says something about the mix. I look at him, pause, start laughing my ass off, shake my head, wipe a tear and say “I don’t think so”. On the next comment I did the Jerky boys “yah sure I will”. That’s how the rest of the day went and he couldn’t get angry. After years of holding back, it was like a genie giving me one of three wishes. Needless to say, for the rest of the week he smoked in the lounge. F*ck 'em.
Old 21st September 2005
heh heh heh heh

Old 21st September 2005
Lives for gear

Thats a great story!

Old 21st September 2005
Gear maniac

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brauer

I’ve had “famous” people insist on smoking in the control room and I say "no" in a nice way. I had one person that insisted on smoking just in the doorway and blew the smoke away from the control room. I still got high from it, and I looked at him at one point and said “ok, You just got me high, so here’s the deal, if you see me laughing at you when you make a comment, you can’t get mad. I warned you not to smoke around me so, if what you say sounds funny to me, I’m laughing”. About ten minutes later, he’s sitting next to me and he says something about the mix. I look at him, pause, start laughing my ass off, shake my head, wipe a tear and say “I don’t think so”. On the next comment I did the Jerky boys “yah sure I will”. That’s how the rest of the day went and he couldn’t get angry. After years of holding back, it was like a genie giving me one of three wishes. Needless to say, for the rest of the week he smoked in the lounge. F*ck 'em.
that's great
Old 21st September 2005
jordan19
heh heh!!

the jerky boys
Old 21st September 2005
Quote:
............ Needless to say, for the rest of the week he smoked in the lounge. F*ck 'em.

aaaaaaahahahahahha..... very funny
Old 21st September 2005
Lives for gear

that must be one of the best posts EVER !!!

can´t stop laughing either......imagining that situation !!

*llloooooooooolll*

ha,ha...help...can´t stop.....

michael, you´re great! thx for doin this, learned a lot so far....love both coldplay albums & tons of the other stuff you´ve done...

Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
I’ve had “famous” people insist on smoking in the control room and I say "no" in a nice way. I had one person that insisted on smoking just in the doorway and blew the smoke away from the control room. I still got high from it,
It's so great that you said that .... many are blissfully unaware how powerful one little wiff can be to those of us who are living off of clean air.
Old 27th September 2005
Lives for gear

Great answer...forthright and funny!
Thanks for keeping drugs out of your studio
and being here for us gearslutz!
Scruffydog
Old 27th September 2005
Gear maniac

classic!
Old 28th September 2005
Lives for gear

The greatest thing I have heard in a while!! heh heh heh