The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Assistant starting career -- options & strategy
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Assistant starting career -- options & strategy

O.K., so if one of your assistants is getting ready to 'leave the nest,' what would be a typical scenario & strategy?

-- would he/she already have mgm't in place? If so, did your contacts and/or credibility provide the groundwork for solid mgm't? Is it typical for your assistants to go with your mgm't, for instance?

-- do your assistants typically leave with "apprenticed with Michael Brauer" their calling card at first?

I would be interested to know how your former assistants take their credits, experience, and credibility and utilize them to develop a solid career.
Old 20th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

No, I wish it were that easy for them. Managers usually go after someone that is already established with existing clients.

My assistants establish relationships with my clients over the two-year period they are working for me. I’ll encourage some of them to hire my guys as engineers. I think using my name will help them “get in the door” yes, but it’s rough out there as many of you know.

What I teach them during their two-year apprenticeship transcends the world of audio. The communication skills and pursuit of excellence former assistants developed while working for me have helped them get ahead in life. It’s not just about music or mixing. It’s about striving to be the best at anything they pursue whether it’s music or business. Some have gone on to win Grammy’s. Others have left music to pursue other careers. There are no guarantees after they go out on their own, but I do prepare them for the real world and that is invaluable.
Old 20th September 2005
Do they all get kicked out of the nest at the 2 year mark to fly on their own or do some... linger on longer?

heh
Old 20th September 2005
Lives for gear

What is the requirement to work as your assistant? Do you take those who are already engineers or someone who's just starting off?
Old 20th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

They don't get kicked out, believe me, it's not exactly a holiday training a new assistant every couple of years. But by then they've been an intern for 6 months on top of being an assistant for 2 years. They're ready to go out there and go for it. It's not an easy two years, it's intense for them. I like the energy I get from new assistants. They have a different opinion of what they hear from the previous assistant and it's like having a new sounding board to throw ideas off of.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search