The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Michael, how do you get that 3D mix?
Old 19th September 2005
Lives for gear

Michael, how do you get that 3D mix?

I'm young at engineering and I need some help on achieving the mix that jumps out and around you... you know... the 3D effect. I'm talking mainly choruses, but anything that is made to jump beyond the placement of the speakers.
Off topic...
Just wanted to let you know that I am a big Luther fan...hell I grew up on Luther and until I got real serious about music and engineering, I had never noticed how great his music was mixed. And it's funny because I've always wanted to speak to that person that was not only behind those great mixes, but had the opportunity to work with such a divine talent. With that being said, at what point in a session do you feel that you are working with a legend before he or she has been proclaimed to be? And how do you keep focus on the task and not fall into the greatness of the music itself?

Want to thank you for your valuable time. heh
Old 19th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

It’s not possible to answer that question because I’m not really sure how I do it. It’s a culmination of how I hear the song and how the tracks are recorded. There is no button that makes it do that. Multi buss compression helps me achieve the depth to a certain degree because it allows for counter pumping. I wish I could be more detailed on that one but no tricks come to mind.

I knew that Luther was a great singer and that his talent for arranging backing vocals was beyond anything I'd ever seen before or since, for that matter. It was scary how good he was. He was a perfectionist. But what made him a legend was his ability to perform and touch every individual person that was present at every concert.

As far as legends are concerned, I can’t predict them but I certainly know when I hear a great singer. But, being a great singer and becoming legendary are two different things.

I don’t have a problem being star struck. If the song is great, I’m having a fun time, if it’s not great, it’s a legend with a lousy song and it’s time to get to work and fix it.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search